"Nature's little secrets indeed!" Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands by sabsi

British Virgin Islands Travel Guide: 463 reviews and 1,357 photos

For over six years I had dealt with the British Virgin Islands in work until I finally got the chance to visit these wonderful Caribbean islands. This means that since 2002 I have stared at beautiful pictures of the BVI every day in my office wondering what it is like there. Now that I finally had the chance to go (for a holiday, not for work ;) I know: Pictures can't describe what the BVI are really like! There is much more charme, there are even more intense colours and life on the islands is more fun than I'd ever imagined!

Thomas and I stayed on the BVI for 10 days in November 2008, we visited 4 different islands, sampled the BVI national drink - painkiller - in many locations, drove amazing streets, ate as much Jerk Chicken as possible and swam in gorgeous waters. We enjoyed every second spent in this exotic paradise!

And we realised that Nature's little secret doesn't automatically mean Nature's most expensive secret. On this page I will try to show you that you don't have to be extremely rich to have fun on the BVI! You only have to avoid the fancy hotels and the supermarkets!!!

We stayed in a private house on Tortola but on Virgin Gorda we also got the chance to stay in one of the best hotels on the islands for one night and to dip our feet into the infinity pool of one of the most beautiful villas on the BVI. So check out my accommodation tips if you have a few dollars to spend ;)

When I came back into my office after this trip I sat in front of the old pictures and dreamt myself back into the nice heat of the BVI. Only now I knew where all the pics were taken and in my mind I had more pictures, other pictures. My perception of the BVI has totally changed. When I think of BVI I don't only think of luxury hotels and sailing yachts anymore. I think of wild chicken, pelicans, ferry boats and amazing road trips.

Even though this was a "once in a lifetime" trip for us we already thought about how to get back here some day. And we did go back: In 2013 we spent two full weeks on the BVI and got to know even more islands this time!!

They are addictive, these 60 islands and islets under the Caribbean sun! Be warned... and enjoy!

• Pros:Unspoilt nature. Deserted beaches. Great variety of islands. Caribbean flair. Complete safety. Great driving. Cool beach bars.
  • Cons:Mosquitos that will destroy you in the end. Supermarket and hotel prices are high. Locals on Tortola could be as friendly as on the other islands.
  • In a nutshell:Paradise! Sounds like an overused term but it's the only term that can describe it.
  • Last visit to British Virgin Islands: Nov 2013
  • Intro Updated Apr 11, 2014

• Mar 6, 2011 at 8:19 AM

The Top of the Bath's restaurant is wonderful after a day climbing those rocks and enjoying the beaches. It has a pool to cool off in along with some of the best food we had on the islands. Try the coconut chicken appetizer. Mmmmmmm!

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2010 at 3:44 AM

What I holiday! I see you HAVE to go to Cornwall. That copper mine looks just like outside St Ives and in Geevor Tin Mine you will probably read about the Cornish in BVI...

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2009 at 5:29 PM

Hi Sabine! Nice British VI pictures - it really is a paradise. Greetings from Arizona, Norman :)

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2009 at 8:11 AM

hm... the historic Germans got it all wrong... instead of attacking crappy countries such as Britain and Holland we should have gone for their colonies ;)

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2009 at 2:33 AM

a really wow place!the colours are stunning!thanks for so many pics to show us and glad you got there and had such a great time!Love the pelicans!!..but couldnt stand going keyless!what was the special deal you got for the Ocean cottage?!!

• Jan 4, 2009 at 5:23 AM

Thanks for the time to write up all these reviews...along with great pictures!

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I think now I would survive steep roads. But 1 (one!) chocolate bar for a whole week ????? Excellent page, I even struggled with the "new" VT picture option in order to see each photo! It was worth it!

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2008 at 4:21 AM

REAL PARADISE. you even must pay to leave it :-)))

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2008 at 11:26 AM

I guess paradise has to be expensive otherwise it wouldn't be paradise for long. Brilliant and very useful tips make me wondering what the heck I'm doing in cold, snowy Switzerland ;)

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Good to learn that BVI is not only a Tax paradise ;-) I want to believe... in the beer religion! Great pics & reviews. I really want to go there as I need a painkiller right now ;-) This week-end I will start my (après) skiing season... YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

sabsi

“It isn`t good having anything exciting if you can`t share it (Winnie the Pooh)”

Badges & Stats in British Virgin Islands

Have you been to British Virgin Islands?