"Nature's little secrets indeed!" Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands by sabsi
British Virgin Islands Travel Guide: 464 reviews and 1,363 photos
For over six years I had dealt with the British Virgin Islands in work until I finally got the chance to visit these wonderful Caribbean islands. This means that since 2002 I have stared at beautiful pictures of the BVI every day in my office wondering what it is like there. Now that I finally had the chance to go (for a holiday, not for work ;) I know: Pictures can't describe what the BVI are really like! There is much more charme, there are even more intense colours and life on the islands is more fun than I'd ever imagined!
Thomas and I stayed on the BVI for 10 days in November 2008, we visited 4 different islands, sampled the BVI national drink - painkiller - in many locations, drove amazing streets, ate as much Jerk Chicken as possible and swam in gorgeous waters. We enjoyed every second spent in this exotic paradise!
And we realised that Nature's little secret doesn't automatically mean Nature's most expensive secret. On this page I will try to show you that you don't have to be extremely rich to have fun on the BVI! You only have to avoid the fancy hotels and the supermarkets!!!
We stayed in a private house on Tortola but on Virgin Gorda we also got the chance to stay in one of the best hotels on the islands for one night and to dip our feet into the infinity pool of one of the most beautiful villas on the BVI. So check out my accommodation tips if you have a few dollars to spend ;)
When I came back into my office after this trip I sat in front of the old pictures and dreamt myself back into the nice heat of the BVI. Only now I knew where all the pics were taken and in my mind I had more pictures, other pictures. My perception of the BVI has totally changed. When I think of BVI I don't only think of luxury hotels and sailing yachts anymore. I think of wild chicken, pelicans, ferry boats and amazing road trips.
Even though this was a "once in a lifetime" trip for us we already thought about how to get back here some day. And we did go back: In 2013 we spent two full weeks on the BVI and got to know even more islands this time!!
They are addictive, these 60 islands and islets under the Caribbean sun! Be warned... and enjoy!
- Pros:Unspoilt nature. Deserted beaches. Great variety of islands. Caribbean flair. Complete safety. Great driving. Cool beach bars.
- Cons:Mosquitos that will destroy you in the end. Supermarket and hotel prices are high. Locals on Tortola could be as friendly as on the other islands.
- In a nutshell:Paradise! Sounds like an overused term but it's the only term that can describe it.
When you had too many of the tasty Painkillers at SDB in the midday sun it's a good idea to order some food! There are... more travel advice
We ate with a big group here on night during our stay in 2014. Delicious wines and great food turned this dinner into a... more travel advice
- See All NO NEED TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY
- See All MOBILE PHONES
- See All A TIP ABOUT TIPS
- See All BETTER EAT AT RESTAURANTS
- WILD LIFE
sabsi's Related Pages
British Virgin Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nature's little secrets indeed!"
- "idyllic British Virgin Islands"
- "A Paradise for Sailors & Divers"
- "Nature's Little Secrets"
- "The marina"
- "The BVI - Another Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in British Virgin Islands
- Hotels in British Virgin Islands
- Transportation in British Virgin Islands
- Nightlife in British Virgin Islands
- Restaurants in British Virgin Islands
- Shopping in British Virgin Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in British Virgin Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in British Virgin Islands
- 69 Reviews
- 232 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to British Virgin Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in British Virgin Islands
- Posted in Travel British Virgin Islands Forum "Re: tortola or virgin gorda"
- Wrote a Review NOT ONLY THE DRINKS ARE GREAT HERE in British Virgin Islands Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "NOT ONLY THE DRINKS ARE GREAT HERE"
- updated a British Virgin Islands Travel Page "Nature's little secrets indeed!"
- Commented on one of arasnosliw's British Virgin Islands travel pages
Photos in British Virgin IslandsSee All Photos (232)
Top 10 Pages
- Hannover Intro, 104 reviews, 359 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf Intro, 105 reviews, 235 photos, 18 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 114 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 66 reviews, 220 photos
- Ireland Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 14 reviews, 222 photos, 11 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 85 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 77 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues