"Brezn, Bier and Beautiful Days in Munich" Top 5 Page for this destination Munich by sabsi
Munich Travel Guide: 4,411 reviews and 10,366 photos
Munich is one of the biggest tourist attractions of Germany and it deserves to be for its nice architecture and old world charme as well as the beer and sausage culture ;)
However, in my opinion visiting just Munich when you want to experience Germany is not a good idea. You won't experience Germany here but Bavaria. We don't all drink beer and eat sausages all day. ;-) Don't get me wrong, you should definitely visit Munich. But try and see another place as well (and I am not talking about Heidelberg, Schloss Neuschwanstein or Rothemburg here ;) to experience "real Germany".
I spent 4 days in Munich in summer 2004. Before these days I had only been to Munich on day trips and never really had the time to get to know much of the city. Now I explored the city on my own to take some pictures for a while. I met my local beergarden guides Richie and Doreen on two days and in the end I spent two days here with my colleagues on a company trip.
I went back at least 10 times since spring 2005 trying to find the "real Munich" together with my boyfriend who happens to be a native Münchener.
Like this I got to know both, the non-touristy corners and the tourist attractions as well as the surroundings and I always loved to return here. Even though we even ended up in Hofbräuhaus for a few times (I just wanted a quick picture ;), we visited several cuckoo clock shops (I wanted a cuckoo clock ;) and I quite often was wearing my camera around my neck I didn't feel like being a real tourist. Like this I liked Munich even better than before.... Which might have partly been the "fault" of my local guide ;)
- Pros:Great parks, beautiful buildings, lovely beergardens and cafes, lots of things to do, Wiesn
- Cons:Everytime I visit there's no beergarden weather.
- In a nutshell:It's all about food and drink really. Not that there was something wrong with that tho... ;)
King of Bavaria, Ludwig II., grew up in Hohenschwangau castle and when he was king he decided to rebuilt the castle next... more travel advice
I visited the famous Oktoberfest for the first time in 2006 and I expected to hate it. The thought of hundreds of... more travel advice
- See All Great Thai food for small money
- See All A great beer pub
- See All Any excuse for a VT drink
- See All A traditional animal
sabsi's Related Pages
Munich Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Munich - Oktoberfest & a lot more !"
- "Brezn, Bier and Beautiful Days in Munich"
- "Munich is nature, art, events and culture"
- "The Big Village"
- "Munich - my current hometown"
- "Munich and Surroundings"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Munich
- Hotels in Munich
- Transportation in Munich
- Nightlife in Munich
- Restaurants in Munich
- Shopping in Munich
- Warnings and Dangers in Munich
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Munich
- 77 Reviews
- 124 Photos
- 48 Forum posts
- 43 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Munich?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Munich
- Posted in Travel British Virgin Islands Forum "Re: tortola or virgin gorda"
- updated a Munich Travel Page "Brezn, Bier and Beautiful Days in Munich"
- Wrote a Review Day Trip from Munich: Schloss Neuschwanstein about Füssen in Munich Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of antistar's Munich travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ein Prosit, ein Prosit der Gemütlichkeit..."
Photos in MunichSee All Photos (124)
Top 10 Pages
- Hannover Intro, 104 reviews, 359 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf Intro, 105 reviews, 235 photos, 18 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 114 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 66 reviews, 220 photos
- Ireland Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 14 reviews, 222 photos, 11 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 85 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 77 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues