"Brezn, Bier and Beautiful Days in Munich" Top 5 Page for this destination Munich by sabsi

Munich Travel Guide: 4,361 reviews and 10,171 photos

***SOUNDTRACK FOR THIS PAGE: Münchener Freiheit - Solang man Träume noch leben kann***

Munich is one of the biggest tourist attractions of Germany and it deserves to be for its nice architecture and old world charme as well as the beer and sausage culture ;)

However, in my opinion visiting just Munich when you want to experience Germany is not a good idea. You won't experience Germany here but Bavaria. We don't all drink beer and eat sausages all day. ;-) Don't get me wrong, you should definitely visit Munich. But try and see another place as well (and I am not talking about Heidelberg, Schloss Neuschwanstein or Rothemburg here ;) to experience "real Germany".

I spent 4 days in Munich in summer 2004. Before these days I had only been to Munich on day trips and never really had the time to get to know much of the city. Now I explored the city on my own to take some pictures for a while. I met my local beergarden guides Richie and Doreen on two days and in the end I spent two days here with my colleagues on a company trip.

I went back at least 10 times since spring 2005 trying to find the "real Munich" together with my boyfriend who happens to be a native Münchener.

Like this I got to know both, the non-touristy corners and the tourist attractions as well as the surroundings and I always loved to return here. Even though we even ended up in Hofbräuhaus for a few times (I just wanted a quick picture ;), we visited several cuckoo clock shops (I wanted a cuckoo clock ;) and I quite often was wearing my camera around my neck I didn't feel like being a real tourist. Like this I liked Munich even better than before.... Which might have partly been the "fault" of my local guide ;)

• Pros:Great parks, beautiful buildings, lovely beergardens and cafes, lots of things to do, Wiesn
  • Cons:Everytime I visit there's no beergarden weather.
  • In a nutshell:It's all about food and drink really. Not that there was something wrong with that tho... ;)
  • Last visit to Munich: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 10, 2008

• adema29's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2011 at 5:51 AM

Great pictures and good advise! Thanks!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Great tips!

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2008 at 8:30 AM

I'm still not sure whether I want to go to Munich or not. I'm also getting a little ambivalence from this page on some aspects but a lot of enthusiasm for the food, drink and conviviality. Enjoyed the personal and truthful observations :))

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 3:21 PM

if its raining i rather go to the pool than the hunting museum..hehe!great tips,thanks

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2007 at 9:29 AM

Nice pictures and good advice for our upcoming adventure. Thanks for sharing. N.

• TXgal's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Great tips and pics. I went to Oktoberfest for the first time in 2006 and hope to go back again this year and spend more time in Munich to sightsee!

• mavl's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2006 at 12:28 AM

great photos! i didn't get to go to germany when i toured europe, left it for next time. it must be nice to visit munich so easily. i'm sure i'll feel right at home there being quite cuckoo myself. beer and sausages won't hurt either.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2006 at 2:56 AM

;O) ;O) ;O)

• Docu2001's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2006 at 12:12 PM

You know I'm tempted to go to Munich - in fact I want to go ... But I want to go to Paris too - so which do YOU think I'll visit first?

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2006 at 2:16 PM

Gosh - Got to bring Keith to that schnitzel place I suppose! :)))

sabsi Visits Here Frequently!

sabsi

“It isn`t good having anything exciting if you can`t share it (Winnie the Pooh)”

Badges & Stats in Munich