Zagreb Restaurant Tips by sabsi Top 5 Page for this destination

Zagreb Restaurants: 189 reviews and 266 photos

Fish & Blitva - Zagreb

Fish & Blitva

Ivica i Marica: CAKES FROM A FAIRYTALE Dessert shop Review

Every tourist that has ever been down Tkalciceva has seen Ivica i Marica I bet. It's a small cafe located inside the house of Hänsel & Gretel from Grimm's fairytale. It looks like it's bought second hand from Disneyland and it definitely looks like a tourist trap. Well, what can I say? It isn't! Go in and find out!

Next door to the cakes place the same owners opened an organic restaurant under the same name now. We came here for a VT dinner in 2005 and I really enjoyed the food and the company.

Favorite Dish: The "organic" cakes, especially the cheesecake, are wonderful. The mushroom risotto I had in the restaurant next door was lovely too, and so were the traditional Croatian starters we all shared.

What's even better, however, is the apple juice they serve in both places. It tastes like directly from the tree!

Address: Tkalciceva 70

Theme: Dessert

Website: http://www.ivicaimarica.com

• Written Jul 9, 2008
VT Dinner: Mladen and Zdenka - Zagreb

VT Dinner: Mladen and Zdenka

Boban: GREAT PASTA Italian Review

Boban is a basement restaurant near the main square. We've been here twice on our winter visit to Zagreb because we really enjoyed the food here. In summer we immediately went back and forced the local VTers to have our VT dinner here!

They serve Italian food here, mainly meat and pasta. If you are looking for pizza this is not your place, there's no pizza on the menu. The pasta, however, is gorgeous - very big portions, very fancy combinations and very delicious. Prices are very reasonable and the English speaking staff is friendly. I'm already looking forward to coming back here on my next visit to Zagreb.

Upstairs from the restaurant there's a nice bar which is called Boban, too.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish in 2005 and 2007 was Penne Mamma Rosa (yes, I am boring ;). Thomas enjoyed his Gnocchi Mari e Monti so much, he ordered the same dish three times already. The Crostino I had for starters was gorgeous as well.

Address: Gajeva 9

Comparison: about average

Directions: Walk away from the main square next to Hotel Dubrovnik. After maybe 100 metres Boban's is in the basement on your left.

Theme: Italian

Website: http://www.boban.hr

• Updated Jun 5, 2007
Perfect spot for peoplewatching in Zagreb - Zagreb

Perfect spot for peoplewatching in Zagreb

Kavana Dubrovnik: PEOPLEWATCHING AT ITS BEST Dessert shop Review

We were frozen while walking around and Thomas was craving for one of these great Croatian coffees. This is how we found our favourite place to kill time in Zagreb: Kavana Dubrovnik which belongs to Hotel Dubrovnik, one of the oldest coffeehouses in Zagreb. It's located right at the main square opposite the tram stop. Make sure to sit at one of the large windows and enjoy the peoplewatching here, after a while you will have seen everybody who is walking around Zagreb that day!!!

We came here every afternoon afterwards and spent HOURS here. Even the waiter knew us in the end ;-) It never got boring.... and the cakes were delicious, too.

Favorite Dish: The views. And the raspberry cake.

Address: Ljudevita Gaja 1

Comparison: about average

Directions: Right at the main square!

Theme: Coffeehouse

Website: http://www.hotel-dubrovnik.hr/

• Updated Feb 28, 2006
Cepacici ;-) - Zagreb

Cepacici ;-)

Rubelj Grill: LIVING UP STEREOTYPES Traditional Review

When we were small my school friends who had been to Yugoslavia on summer holidays wanted to eat nothing but Cevapcici all the time. We even made them ourselves back then (this was when you couldn't buy that frozen stuff in the supermarkets here).

So before I touched ex-Yugoslavian ground for the first time I decided I had to have Cevapcici before leaving the country. So some day at lunchtime I forced Nikša to have Cevapcici for lunch. We went to a grill fast food chain called Rubelj under Dolac Market.

It was very nice to live up the stereotype, I had tastier stuff before though. Oh well, Cevapcici are Bosnian, anyway ;)

Favorite Dish: Bosnian Cevapcici with Serbian Ajvar in Croatia ;)

Address: Dolac 2, Tržnica mala terasa, Zagreb

Comparison: less expensive than average

Rating: 3

Website: http://www.rubelj-grill.hr

• Updated Jan 11, 2005
Zdenka stuffing her face - censored - Zagreb

Zdenka stuffing her face - censored

Burek: A TASTY SNACK Traditional Review

Zdenka took me for lunch to a Burek shop, she claims that it was one of the best ones around. Apparently she was right as this place was really busy. There's no seating here but you can have your Burek standing up, you can also have it as take away.

Favorite Dish: "Burek" is a local snack. In Germany we eat the Turkish version "Börek". It's pastry filled with either minced meat or cheese and it's cheap, rather tasty and filling.

Comparison: least expensive

Directions: At the terrace underneath Dolac market

• Updated Jan 4, 2005
Pizza Heaven - Zagreb

Pizza Heaven

Mamma Mia: GREAT PIZZAS Pizzeria Review

This restaurant in a backyard of Ilica - Zagreb's longest street - is not really beautiful or charming but still it was nice to sit here for ages having a great pizza.

Favorite Dish: I had the pizza with the Slavonian spicy salami called "Kulen" and really enjoyed it.

Address: Ilica 63, 10000 Zagreb

Comparison: less expensive than average

Theme: Pizza

• Updated Dec 16, 2004
Boris - still freezing? - Zagreb

Boris - still freezing?

Kolding Cafe: COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE

A café with a nice atmosphere and a copy shop connected. It feels like you are actually sitting outside in a backyard but there's a glass roof over it. They have some nice strong heaters as well so this was the perfect place on a cold day.

Favorite Dish: Only had drinks here. As many other cafes food isn't served here but you are allowed to bring some yourself.

Address: Berislaviceva 8

Phone: (+385-1) 487 24 88

Rating: 3

Theme: Coffeehouse

Dinner at Nocturno - Zagreb

Dinner at Nocturno

Nocturno: A VT CLASSIC Italian Review

I had heard the name of this restaurant many times before basically because almost every VTer has been here before I think. And they all came for a reason. The food here was lovely and so were the incredibly low prices.

Favorite Dish: I had chicken risotto which was way too much and very tasty.

Address: Skalinska 4

Comparison: least expensive

Phone: (+385-1) 481 33 94

Theme: Italian

Chez Nikša - Zagreb

Chez Nikša

Chez Nikša: THE BEST! Traditional Review

I'm afraid this is not a restaurant but Nikša's kitchen I am talking about here. It doesn't only serve forced breakfasts and evening tea - it also prepares wonderful dinners and desserts.

Favorite Dish: I had my first "Blitva" (Swiss Chard) here - and probably my last, too ;-)

My favourites here were definitely the company and the garlic potatoes as well as the local cottage cheese/sour cream combination for breakfast.

Address: no way!

Directions: Maybe if you will ask very nicely Nikša will tell you....

sabsi

“It isn`t good having anything exciting if you can`t share it (Winnie the Pooh)”

Badges & Stats in Zagreb