"Sarajevooooooooooooooooooooo!" Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo by sabsi
Sarajevo Travel Guide: 1,165 reviews and 2,898 photos
When we were still in the planning phase for our road trip I had the plan to only visit Mostar on the way from Dubrovnik to Plitvice Lakes. At ITB fair in Berlin we talked to one of the guys at the booth of the Bosnia and Herzegovina Tourist Board. He convinced us that we are crazy thinking about doing this in a day and suggested spending a night in Sarajevo. I have to admit, when he said "Sarajevo" two things came into my mind: "Vucko" (the mascot of the winter games 1984 and my first love!) and of course the recent war. It was time to find out more...
I started reading about Sarajevo and it was obvious pretty quickly - to stay for only one night wouldn't be enough. The city sounded like a fascinating place.
So we booked ourselves into a hostel for two nights and went here towards the end of our trip. Everything we had read was true - Sarajevo felt like a different world from everything we had seen before. The old town with its mystic hazy atmosphere due to of all the smoke coming from the Cevabdzinicas. And from the people, it seems like EVERYBODY smokes and drinks coffee here. Beautiful women in beautiful headscarfs. Holes and scars in many facades and in the people's hearts and souls. All the spires of the mosques and churches - catholic or orthodox. A really interesting mixture of history, culture, religion, football, food and friendly people.
On this page you will find out about what to see and do in Sarajevo. As we were only here for two nights the page is nowhere near complete but I hope you enjoy it, anyway.
I hope to go back to Sarajevo one day to see more. (Unfortunately I only read about the water you need to drink from the fountain outside Gazi Husrev-beg's mosque which makes you to return to Sarajevo quickly. Guess I should prepare my next holidays more accurately ;)
- Pros:Fascinating mixture of cultures, decent prices
- Cons:There's still a lot to do....
- In a nutshell:Go there and see it for yourself!
We came to Sarajevo on the day one of the local footie clubs, FK Sarajevo, won the Bosnian league. On the way into the... more travel advice
We walked by this little cafe/pizzeria a few times and when we were thirsty and finally had gotten money from the ATM... more travel advice
- See All Paying with Marks again
- English Books
- See All American registered licence plates
sabsi's Related Pages
Sarajevo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sarajevo - Lively heart of Bosnia and Herzegovina"
- "Something special ...."
- "SARAJEVO MY LOVE"
- "dreams submerged. the capital."
- "Beautiful and Scarred"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sarajevo
- Hotels in Sarajevo
- Transportation in Sarajevo
- Nightlife in Sarajevo
- Restaurants in Sarajevo
- Shopping in Sarajevo
- Warnings and Dangers in Sarajevo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sarajevo
- 36 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (71)
Have you been to Sarajevo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sarajevo
- Posted in Travel British Virgin Islands Forum "Re: tortola or virgin gorda"
- Commented on one of easterntrekker's Sarajevo travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Zmaja od Bosne ("Sniper Alley")"
- Wrote a Review Football and Football in Sarajevo Sports & Outdoors
- updated a Sarajevo Travel Page "Sarajevooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Photos in SarajevoSee All Photos (88)
Top 10 Pages
- Hannover Intro, 104 reviews, 359 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf Intro, 105 reviews, 235 photos, 18 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 114 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 66 reviews, 220 photos
- Ireland Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 14 reviews, 222 photos, 11 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 85 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 77 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues