"Sarajevooooooooooooooooooooo!" Top 5 Page for this destination Sarajevo by sabsi

Sarajevo Travel Guide: 1,165 reviews and 2,898 photos

When we were still in the planning phase for our road trip I had the plan to only visit Mostar on the way from Dubrovnik to Plitvice Lakes. At ITB fair in Berlin we talked to one of the guys at the booth of the Bosnia and Herzegovina Tourist Board. He convinced us that we are crazy thinking about doing this in a day and suggested spending a night in Sarajevo. I have to admit, when he said "Sarajevo" two things came into my mind: "Vucko" (the mascot of the winter games 1984 and my first love!) and of course the recent war. It was time to find out more...

I started reading about Sarajevo and it was obvious pretty quickly - to stay for only one night wouldn't be enough. The city sounded like a fascinating place.

So we booked ourselves into a hostel for two nights and went here towards the end of our trip. Everything we had read was true - Sarajevo felt like a different world from everything we had seen before. The old town with its mystic hazy atmosphere due to of all the smoke coming from the Cevabdzinicas. And from the people, it seems like EVERYBODY smokes and drinks coffee here. Beautiful women in beautiful headscarfs. Holes and scars in many facades and in the people's hearts and souls. All the spires of the mosques and churches - catholic or orthodox. A really interesting mixture of history, culture, religion, football, food and friendly people.

On this page you will find out about what to see and do in Sarajevo. As we were only here for two nights the page is nowhere near complete but I hope you enjoy it, anyway.

I hope to go back to Sarajevo one day to see more. (Unfortunately I only read about the water you need to drink from the fountain outside Gazi Husrev-beg's mosque which makes you to return to Sarajevo quickly. Guess I should prepare my next holidays more accurately ;)

Enjoy!
Sabs

• Pros:Fascinating mixture of cultures, decent prices
  • Cons:There's still a lot to do....
  • In a nutshell:Go there and see it for yourself!
  • Last visit to Sarajevo: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 21, 2007

• IreneMcKay's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Love the poem you found about the burnt out library. Your celebrating football supporter shots remind me of Istanbul. Cheers, Irene

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2010 at 2:03 AM

On my itinerary next year. Great page, great tips. Thanks so much.

• iaint's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2009 at 9:51 AM

great tips. i'm going next month.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2009 at 12:41 AM

I liked your Sarajevo page too. well done.. Bora

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2008 at 3:06 PM

I will finally make it to this interesting city at the beginning of September. I think I have to reread your excellent page soon. Have fun tomorrow evening.

• neodue's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 4:47 AM

Very nice pages about Sarajevo Sabsi.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2008 at 6:30 AM

Terrific. Sarajevo is on our agenda for later this year, you paint a great picture. leyle

• lotharlerch's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2007 at 7:13 AM

Tolle Seite! Seit ich in Sarajevo war (noch zu Tito's Zeiten) ist schon eine Ewigkeit vergangen. Moechte unbedingt bald wieder hin.

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2007 at 11:05 AM

fascinating place

• Jul 26, 2007 at 5:09 AM

Nice page. Just, we have 2 teams, FK Sarajevo-bordeaux, and NK Zeljeznicar-blue. When they play the city derby, it's better not to leave the house at all, or if you get out, make sure you wear sth in completely different color. Come and visit us again :)

sabsi

“It isn`t good having anything exciting if you can`t share it (Winnie the Pooh)”

Badges & Stats in Sarajevo

Have you been to Sarajevo?