"Whitby - Candyfloss and Gambling Halls" Top 5 Page for this destination Whitby by sabsi

Whitby Travel Guide: 354 reviews and 740 photos

On my last day with Steve and Susan they took me to Whitby, a lovely seaside town in Yorkshire.

Whitby is basically two different worlds - an old town with charming streets and nice shops and - on the other side of the river - a newer part with all the things tourists need (e.g. candy floss, gambling halls, a fortune teller etc etc).

On the way to Whitby we stopped in Runswick Bay - a lovely little village at the North Sea. After ten days in England it was the first time I saw the sea. I had been waiting to go to the sea again for ages and it felt really strange to get to England without seeing the sea (I came by train through the tunnel).

Apart from Fish & Chips and "Time Crisis" in Whitby you will also find these whalebones, the ruins of St. Hilda's Abbey, Dracula connections, St. Mary church and its graveyard, 199 Steps up to East Cliff and many memories of Whitby's most famous son - Captain James Cook.

• Pros:Great old town, lovely seaside atmosphere
  • Cons:The smell of Fish & Chips and vinegar EVERYWHERE!
  • In a nutshell:A great place for a day at the sea!
  • Last visit to Whitby: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated May 22, 2003

• Ben-UK's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2005 at 3:36 AM

It's not all that far from Manchester yet I've never been to Whitby -- must go as I love ports -- looks like you enjoyed yourself there -- very nice page.

• richardbarnes4's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2004 at 11:18 AM

HI THERE SABSI I HAD A PUB NEAR WHITBY A VILLAGE CALLED STAITHS ALSO ALOVELY PLACE I WAS IN GERMANY ALL THROUGH THE SIXTIES A PLACE CALLED HILDEN JUST OUTSIDE DUSSELDORFE HAVE YOU HERD OF IT IT WAS GREAT

• Aug 1, 2003 at 12:00 AM

Beautiful page! I'm definitely going to Whitby as soon as possible.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2003 at 1:56 AM

A veeery romantic place for me and my then boyfriend now husband and the place we miss most now we don't live in Yorkshire...

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2003 at 12:49 PM

The cream eggs would taste better than the real ones I am sure! I can't believe that you didn't go up the 199 steps to the Abbey. I will take you ther next time and drag you up!

• Globtrotter's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2003 at 9:02 AM

I actually saw the original sized replica last year in Rio de Janeiro and a trip on this ship. It is absolutely beautiful! You can now see it in Whitby. For more info see their website:www.barkendeavour.com.au

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2003 at 3:07 AM

Lovely page, and yes Lazy Ass, next time we go UP to the Abbey!! :-P

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2003 at 1:30 PM

so you got to see the sea here then Sabs. Hey we have donkey rides in West Kirby too!

• mabu's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2003 at 1:27 PM

bist du auch auf dem esel geritten?;-)

• SusanTilly's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2003 at 1:15 PM

The Endeavour is back in Whitby right now. The chipper is called Robertsons. I want another egg! Why does mafootje like the way I smile????

sabsi

“It isn`t good having anything exciting if you can`t share it (Winnie the Pooh)”

Badges & Stats in Whitby