Great Skelligs Favorite Tips by sabsi
Great Skelligs Favorites: 6 reviews and 5 photos
Saving Private Schrader
Fondest memory: In the morning we sat down in our little boat and waited for it to leave. The boat next to us was full of tourists wearing Army uniforms... we take the p*ss and lots of pictures coz they look sooo funny. A bit like D-day...
When we went back to the boats to get back to the mainland we sat down in our little boat again. Our captain suddenly is handing out army uniforms just like the ones we took the p*ss of this morning because of the expected seaspray. Aaargh, they didn't belong to the tourists but to the boats.
Hmmm I guess now we are the ones who look silly - the people from the other boat are now taking the p*ss out of us!
Favorite thing: In AD 600 monks formed a monastic settlement on one of the island's peaks. It is well preserved and still intact so it's one of the most important early christian monuments in Ireland if not the world.
They decided to make the way up to the monastery easier and built several "staircases" - one of the is the "tourist way" up the island. The steps are made of stone (well what else?) and it's amazing to walk up there and thinking about how those monks used to walk up the same steps more than 1400 years ago. Magic
Favorite thing: Skelligs consist of two 'unreal' islands - Skellig Michael (Sceilg Mhicíl) and Little Skellig (Sceilg Bheag) . Latter one is populated by more than 20000 gannets - the white colour of the rock looks like a different kind of stone from the distance, when you look closer it's all white birds and what they left behind!!! Skellig Michael is the island you can go to for a day trip. It's a paradise full of birds, breathtaking views and history...
It's so unbelieveable and such a great experience to go there - I'm running out of superlatives...
Fondest memory: Sharing a biscuit with a little puffin. I will never forget that picnic :)
The adventure of getting there and getting back.
Actually I have so many funny memories. I have them all written down in a travelogue on my Co. Kerry page but I will transfer bits from there to here definitely!
More Reviews (12)
sabsi's Related Pages
Great Skelligs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great and Small Skellig"
- "My favourite place on Earth"
- "An "out of the world" place!"
- "The Island Monastery"
- "A trip to the Skelligs can never be forgotten!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Great Skelligs
- Hotels in Great Skelligs
- Transportation in Great Skelligs
- Nightlife in Great Skelligs
- Restaurants in Great Skelligs
- Warnings and Dangers in Great Skelligs
- See All...
Explore the World
- Loch Eilt-beag Hotels
- Tréguier Hotels
- Mahon Bridge Hotels
- Shiplake Hotels
Badges & Stats in Great Skelligs
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Great Skelligs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Skelligs
Photos in Great SkelligsSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Hannover Intro, 104 reviews, 359 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf Intro, 105 reviews, 235 photos, 18 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 114 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 62 reviews, 209 photos
- Europe Intro, 14 reviews, 222 photos, 11 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 85 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 77 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues