"My favourite place on Earth" Great Skelligs by sabsi
Great Skelligs Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 83 photos
I thought that Skellig was not a location on VT. Now that I found it I have to build a page immediately. I love this place!
The day I spent there was an experience of a lifetime. The adventure of getting there, the thousands of seabirds - I especially fell in love with the puffins - the steps, the sounds, the smells, everything!
Skelligs are located 8 miles off the Kerry coast in the atlantic.
Crossings can get quite rough - so you shouldn't have a problem with boats and waves when you plan on going there. There's only very small boats going over and the cruise takes approx. 60 minutes.
Actually I was kind of scared because of the horror stories of waves and people throwing up I heard before - but I really enjoyed the boat trips. The adventure of getting there belongs to the whole Skellig Experience :-)
According to our captain the sea was really calm the day we went here - we only expected a little seaspray ;-) HAHAHA I ended up soaked and the people were falling down on the boat all over the shop. I don't want to see a rough sea when this was really calm!
We were really lucky that so many puffins were here the day we went (in July 2001). They only spend some time here every summer, most of the year they spend in the south. So if you are around the area in July/August make sure to go. It's an experience of a lifetime!
- Pros:My favourite place on earth and a big adventure.
- Cons:You wouldn't want to have a bladder problem here (no toilets!). If you get seasick you can't go (the rough sea!).
- In a nutshell:One of the best days of my entire life!
Little Skellig is the smaller one of the Skellig Rocks -- hence the name ;-) You can't go there as it is only... more travel advice
The Skellig heritage centre on Valentia Island is a good place to go to after having been to the Skelligs to get more... more travel advice
sabsi's Related Pages
Great Skelligs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great and Small Skellig"
- "My favourite place on Earth"
- "An "out of the world" place!"
- "The Island Monastery"
- "A trip to the Skelligs can never be forgotten!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Great Skelligs
- Hotels in Great Skelligs
- Transportation in Great Skelligs
- Nightlife in Great Skelligs
- Restaurants in Great Skelligs
- Warnings and Dangers in Great Skelligs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Great Skelligs
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Great Skelligs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Great Skelligs
- Posted in Travel British Virgin Islands Forum "Re: tortola or virgin gorda"
- updated a Great Skelligs Travel Page "My favourite place on Earth"
- Wrote a Review Little Skellig about Skellig Island in Great Skelligs Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Little Skellig"
- Commented on one of PeteNL's Great Skelligs travel pages
Photos in Great SkelligsSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Hannover Intro, 104 reviews, 359 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf Intro, 105 reviews, 235 photos, 18 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 114 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 66 reviews, 220 photos
- Ireland Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 14 reviews, 222 photos, 11 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 85 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 77 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues