"My favourite place on Earth" Great Skelligs by sabsi

Great Skelligs Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 83 photos

I thought that Skellig was not a location on VT. Now that I found it I have to build a page immediately. I love this place!

The day I spent there was an experience of a lifetime. The adventure of getting there, the thousands of seabirds - I especially fell in love with the puffins - the steps, the sounds, the smells, everything!

Skelligs are located 8 miles off the Kerry coast in the atlantic.

Crossings can get quite rough - so you shouldn't have a problem with boats and waves when you plan on going there. There's only very small boats going over and the cruise takes approx. 60 minutes.

Actually I was kind of scared because of the horror stories of waves and people throwing up I heard before - but I really enjoyed the boat trips. The adventure of getting there belongs to the whole Skellig Experience :-)

According to our captain the sea was really calm the day we went here - we only expected a little seaspray ;-) HAHAHA I ended up soaked and the people were falling down on the boat all over the shop. I don't want to see a rough sea when this was really calm!

We were really lucky that so many puffins were here the day we went (in July 2001). They only spend some time here every summer, most of the year they spend in the south. So if you are around the area in July/August make sure to go. It's an experience of a lifetime!

• Pros:My favourite place on earth and a big adventure.
  • Cons:You wouldn't want to have a bladder problem here (no toilets!). If you get seasick you can't go (the rough sea!).
  • In a nutshell:One of the best days of my entire life!
  • Last visit to Great Skelligs: Jul 2001
  • Intro Updated Aug 7, 2003

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2007 at 3:38 AM

Hi Sabsi, those puffins look very cool. I hope they'll be there for our visit in August. I love the picture on your transportation tip - the rough sea with the island in the background looks very atmospheric.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2005 at 7:53 AM

.·:*¨`*:·~My§ticÄl~·:*¨`* Island.Great Tips&pics: I was 11 years old and I rememember the hr boat crossing, I was scarred! Also the birds circling the smaller Island and the monastry.Tim

• stickynickyuk's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2005 at 4:08 PM

Looks like a lovely place, An some amazing sites to see with all the birds and seals Thanks for sharing, Have a great weekend

• Folbi's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2005 at 12:32 PM

Here they are ... the puffins ! Great photos. You've been more sucessful than i've been with them ....

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2005 at 1:12 AM

Great puffin picture

• eiresoldier's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2004 at 10:14 AM

hey enjoyed reading your pageabout skelligs glad you enjoyed it ;-))) greetings from cork city

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2004 at 1:27 PM

Never heard of the place. Fascinating! I think guano might have been a word you could have used a couple of times!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2004 at 6:22 AM

Very nice page. Puffins are amongst my favorite birds (though I have yet to seee them in the wild).

• Donnylass's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2004 at 6:53 AM

Looks a magical place - your puffin picture is wonderful! I go to Bempton on the English east coast to see them in June - but havent managed a photo as good as yours yet!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2004 at 4:36 AM

A really great page on your trip to this amazing place! Beautiful photos and wonderful tips on your experience!

sabsi

“It isn`t good having anything exciting if you can`t share it (Winnie the Pooh)”

Badges & Stats in Great Skelligs

Have you been to Great Skelligs?

Latest Activity in Great Skelligs