"A road trip through Croatia" Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia by sabsi

Croatia Travel Guide: 13,235 reviews and 36,398 photos

Thomas and I went on a major road trip in May 2007 together with our good companion, Mr. Mercedes. Our itinerary was as follows (Day trips in brackets):

Düsseldorf - Munich - Zagreb - Plitvice - Zadar (Pag) - Trogir (Split, Krka NP) - Dubrovnik - Sarajevo (Mostar) - Ljubljana (Bled, Planica) - Munich - Düsseldorf.

After nearly 4,500 kms on the road we returned completely relaxed and with many great memories and impressions in our minds. It was a wonderful time with oh-so-many highlights!

During the two and a half weeks we were on the road we saw so many new place, ate so many pizzas, discovered so many beautiful spots and met so many nice people. I swam in the Mediterranean Sea for the first time in my life, I broke my record on "What's the most southern you have been in Europe" at a lookout point just south of Dubrovnik plus I put a new country to my map: Bosnia and Herzegovina.

It's hard to say what the highlight of this trip was but I will list a few:

Plitvice National Park and its surrounding area
Swimming at Makarska Riviera
The gorgeous old town of Split
Dubrovnik in the evening
The island Pag
Relaxing in Trogir and Zadar
Sticky Zagreb in the heat
...and of course meeting many nice VTers on the road.

I have decided to rather build a big Croatia page than many small pages about all the places we visited. So I guess if you are planning a similar road trip as we did, this page might help you planning. I have added restaurants, accommodation tips as well as several tips I thought of while being on the road. Also on this page you will find general information on the places we visited in Croatia. There also will be more detailed tips about what to see in these places on their dedicated pages.

Hope you enjoy this page as much as enjoyed bringing memories back to life while building it!

Sabs

• Pros:Great coast, wonderful national parks, variety of landscapes, friendly people, good food, affordable prices
  • Cons:Some people drive like maniacs!
  • In a nutshell:A perfect location for a road trip: there is so much to see and do and eat here!
  • Last visit to Croatia: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 7, 2007

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 3:54 AM

Nice photos. Great information. We hope to do similar to you in 2009.

• Jun 29, 2007 at 1:47 PM

I can hear Janica in my head "Nächste Halt-machen Sie rechts. Entschuldigen....umkehren bitte!"

• Nykaenen's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2007 at 8:06 AM

So Thomas did not eat pizza every single day?! I'm still in shock :-)

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2007 at 12:46 AM

Fantastic page with fascinating photos (I liked Krka Park and sunsets). Well, I've been dreaming to go to Croatia last 2 years. Let's wait when the dreams become reality :-))

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Did I tell you I LOVE reading your travelogues? I'm enjoying with each line of them! // Wasn't WWI in the 20th century? Check the year you wrote ;))

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2007 at 11:15 AM

what a marvellous page - it felt like you had an extra passenger in your car - ME!

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2007 at 4:48 PM

You mean you DON'T like Arab sex channels???

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2007 at 2:30 AM

Tag, Sabine! Vielen Dank für die schöne Geschichte!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2007 at 4:22 AM

Oh, Thomas doesn't drive like a maniac. ;)

• danijelita's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Dear Sabsi, as a Zadar girl i must tell you that you cought a Zadar spirit ...love your pages, and looking forward to see more ...

sabsi

“It isn`t good having anything exciting if you can`t share it (Winnie the Pooh)”

Badges & Stats in Croatia

Have you been to Croatia?