"A road trip through Croatia" Top 5 Page for this destination Croatia by sabsi
Croatia Travel Guide: 13,235 reviews and 36,398 photos
Thomas and I went on a major road trip in May 2007 together with our good companion, Mr. Mercedes. Our itinerary was as follows (Day trips in brackets):
Düsseldorf - Munich - Zagreb - Plitvice - Zadar (Pag) - Trogir (Split, Krka NP) - Dubrovnik - Sarajevo (Mostar) - Ljubljana (Bled, Planica) - Munich - Düsseldorf.
After nearly 4,500 kms on the road we returned completely relaxed and with many great memories and impressions in our minds. It was a wonderful time with oh-so-many highlights!
During the two and a half weeks we were on the road we saw so many new place, ate so many pizzas, discovered so many beautiful spots and met so many nice people. I swam in the Mediterranean Sea for the first time in my life, I broke my record on "What's the most southern you have been in Europe" at a lookout point just south of Dubrovnik plus I put a new country to my map: Bosnia and Herzegovina.
It's hard to say what the highlight of this trip was but I will list a few:
Plitvice National Park and its surrounding area
Swimming at Makarska Riviera
The gorgeous old town of Split
Dubrovnik in the evening
The island Pag
Relaxing in Trogir and Zadar
Sticky Zagreb in the heat
...and of course meeting many nice VTers on the road.
I have decided to rather build a big Croatia page than many small pages about all the places we visited. So I guess if you are planning a similar road trip as we did, this page might help you planning. I have added restaurants, accommodation tips as well as several tips I thought of while being on the road. Also on this page you will find general information on the places we visited in Croatia. There also will be more detailed tips about what to see in these places on their dedicated pages.
Hope you enjoy this page as much as enjoyed bringing memories back to life while building it!
- Pros:Great coast, wonderful national parks, variety of landscapes, friendly people, good food, affordable prices
- Cons:Some people drive like maniacs!
- In a nutshell:A perfect location for a road trip: there is so much to see and do and eat here!
If you are planning to go to Croatia by car and you happen to have a GPS system I can only recommend one programme: It's... more travel advice
In the coastal towns, especially in Dubrovnik and Trogir, we saw so many stray cats wandering the streets. They are all... more travel advice
sabsi's Related Pages
Croatia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY CROATIA"
- "Idyllic Croatia"
- "Hrvatska for Europe!"
- "Croatia - the summary of Europe."
- "A road trip through Croatia"
- "Natural Beauty and Stunning History"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Croatia
- Hotels in Croatia
- Transportation in Croatia
- Nightlife in Croatia
- Restaurants in Croatia
- Shopping in Croatia
- Warnings and Dangers in Croatia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Croatia
- 174 Reviews
- 368 Photos
- 29 Forum posts
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Croatia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Croatia
- Posted in Travel British Virgin Islands Forum "Re: tortola or virgin gorda"
- updated a Croatia Travelogue "Our colourful itinerary (My postcard diary) II"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Our colourful itinerary (My postcard diary) II"
- Wrote a Review GPS navigation in Croatia: A good programme in Croatia Transportation
- Commented on one of acemj's Croatia travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Hannover Intro, 104 reviews, 359 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf Intro, 105 reviews, 235 photos, 18 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 114 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 66 reviews, 220 photos
- Ireland Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 8 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 14 reviews, 222 photos, 11 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 85 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 77 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues