Braunschweig Things to Do Tips by sabsi Top 5 Page for this destination
Braunschweig Things to Do: 102 reviews and 209 photos
The third church I have found in Braunschweig that has two different towers is St. Katharinen. I guess I should return here soon to find even more.
St. Andreas Church
Funny eh? In Braunschweig all churches look like in the middle of the building work the people ran out of money and didn't finish the second tower. The cathedral, this church and the church in the following tip all have this feature. You can climb the 93 metre tower to get a view over Braunschweig.
Alte Waage and St. Andreas Church
I loved the view of "Alte Waage" with St. Andreas church behind it. The original building was constructed in 1534. It was used as a weighing house and a warehouse. Unfortunately it was used as the home for Hitler Youth in WWII and was destroyed in an air raid in 1944. It was rebuild and reopened in 1994, now being the home of Braunschweig's Volkshochschule.
Tranquility at the river
Braunschweig stands on the river Oker . It's not directly at the city centre but goes around it in two parts.
You can rent a paddle boat or a canoe on the river (rental station is at Kennedyplatz). ´We sat in a beergarden next to the river for ages enjoying to watch the boats and the people here.
St. Magni was destroyed in WWII but has been rebuild afterwards. The old church here was part of old Braunschweig (~1300).
There's a square at the church with outdoor seating of a restaurant next door. A lovely place for a drink in the sunshine!
Address: Hinter der Magnikirche
A funny house in Magni Quarter
Magniviertel is kind of the "quartier latin" of Braunschweig. Little shops, bars and the location near the river make it a lovely place for a walk. The Rizzi House is located here as well as Magni Church.
Half timbered beauties
On the north end of Burgplatz there are some lovely old half timbered houses, Huneborstelsches Haus is one of them. It is now called "Gildehaus" and hosts the "Handwerkskammer" of Braunschweig.
Town Hall Tower
The town hall of Braunschweig looks very "ungerman" to me. It has this certain Britain or Belgium style of architecture that makes it rather unusual and pretty. It is located right next to the Burgplatz in the centre of town.
In front of the town hall you can inform yourself about Braunschweig's bid for Europe's capital of Culture 2010.
Directions: Near the Burgplatz
The lion statue that symbolises Henry the lion is located in the middle of Burgplatz. The original can be seen in Burg Dankwarderode - it was built out of gold in 1166. The statue on the Burgplatz is only a replica.
Burg Dankwarderode used to be the home of Heinrich der Löwe (Henry the lion). Nowadays the castle is rebuilt because it was destroyed in the 19th century and it hosts the Herzog Anton Ulrich-Museum.
More Reviews (5)
sabsi's Related Pages
Braunschweig Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Braunschweig, my home for now"
- "Opera and cycling in Braunschweig"
- "Of hearts and lions - Braunschweig"
- "Brewery or history?"
- "Braunschweig - a powerhouse of medieval Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Braunschweig
- Hotels in Braunschweig
- Transportation in Braunschweig
- Nightlife in Braunschweig
- Restaurants in Braunschweig
- Shopping in Braunschweig
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pahalgam Hotels
- Ojos Negros Hotels
- Kampong Sungai Udang Hotels
- Lago de Coatepeque Hotels
- Sandy Harbour Beach
Badges & Stats in Braunschweig
- 19 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Braunschweig?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Braunschweig
Photos in BraunschweigSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Hannover Intro, 104 reviews, 359 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf Intro, 105 reviews, 235 photos, 18 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 114 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 62 reviews, 209 photos
- Europe Intro, 14 reviews, 222 photos, 11 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 85 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 77 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues