"Die längste Theke der Welt and ... My new hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf by sabsi
Düsseldorf Travel Guide: 948 reviews and 2,148 photos
Düsseldorf is in the west of Germany, the capital city of Germany's most busy federal state, Northrhine Westphalia. And in 2002 it became my new hometown, I moved here to start a new job and somehow even a new life!
Düsseldorf is a good place to live. It has everything you need: Friendly people, lots of things to do, some beautiful architecture, a big river (For me a river or a port is a big plus for a city!), sunny weather, many events and of course a thrilling nightlife! The old town with its 280 pubs gave Düsseldorf its nickname - "Die längste Theke der Welt" (=World's longest bar!)!!! It's amazing, the streets of the old town are never empty - no matter whether you are there on a monday night or at the weekend!
This is what I wrote shortly after I had moved here. Now, after 6 years in the city, I have changed my mind about some points:
The people are not always friendly and it's hard to find the true
Sunny weather? Well, my first summer here was extraordinary. It was all downhill from there and I found out that this area is among the most rainy areas in Germany.
The thrilling nightlife is only made for tourists only. I try to avoid the old town on weekends because all the stag nights and drunk tourists from the countryside turn this part of town into a "small-Mallorca". There's nowhere in the old town where you can have a quiet drink. Can't stand it. Luckily there are other areas which are better fun.
But even though the early fascination for the city is more or less gone I still enjoy living here. However, I mostly enjoy its location: Düsseldorf is close to so many great places for day trips (Holland, Belgium, Cologne, Ruhrgebiet). I also like the fact that is has a lively music and art scene so that there's always something going on. And there are sooo many nice restaurants to try - even though we are still searching for "the perfect pizza" and the "Grillteller-Greek".
My favourite part of Düsseldorf is still the media port district. This is our little "Docklands" area full of stylish atmosphere, trendy bars and big city views. I have added many pictures from there to my Düsseldorf page. Whenever I have guests I bring them here. Not so much for the bars anymore because the port has sold its soul a bit. But for showing off that I live in such a stylish town ;)
But I also found other places which make me feel like I never want to leave again... the bars of Flingern, the long beergarden along the Rhine, Unbehaun's icecream shop as well as the A46, A57, A3 and A2 - all the motorways bringing me to another place quickly ;)
Enjoy this page! It's constantly growing!
- Pros:Nightlife at its best and nice river walks, great restaurants and museums
- Cons:Too posh. Too expensive. Old town on weekends sucks.
- In a nutshell:Home :-)
This place probably serves the best and definitely serves the most creative burgers in Düsseldorf. They actually serve... more travel advice
Düsseldorf has a new "light masterplan". The goal is to light the axis of the city in a very arty way. In Hofgarten... more travel advice
- See All The best cocktails
- See All Main Station (Hauptbahnhof)
- See All Bolkerstrasse
- See All Stag Night Paradise
- See All Crazy jewelry
sabsi's Related Pages
Düsseldorf Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Die längste Theke der Welt and ... My new hometown"
- "Düsseldorf in the Snow"
- "Designer Dusseldorf"
- "Altbier on the Rhine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Düsseldorf
- Hotels in Düsseldorf
- Transportation in Düsseldorf
- Nightlife in Düsseldorf
- Restaurants in Düsseldorf
- Shopping in Düsseldorf
- Warnings and Dangers in Düsseldorf
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Düsseldorf
- 105 Reviews
- 238 Photos
- 74 Forum posts
- 176 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Düsseldorf?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Düsseldorf
- Uploaded a Photo to "A weekend in Düsseldorf"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: No Photo"
- updated a Düsseldorf Travel Page "Die längste Theke der Welt and ... My new hometown"
- Commented on one of sourbugger's Düsseldorf travel pages
- Wrote a Review The best cocktails about Old Town in Düsseldorf Nightlife
Photos in DüsseldorfSee All Photos (238)
Top 10 Pages
- Hannover Intro, 104 reviews, 359 photos, 20 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf Intro, 105 reviews, 235 photos, 18 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 114 reviews, 207 photos, 6 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 58 reviews, 222 photos, 8 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 84 reviews, 188 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination British Virgin Islands Intro, 62 reviews, 209 photos
- Europe Intro, 14 reviews, 222 photos, 11 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 66 reviews, 148 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zagreb Intro, 85 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munich Intro, 77 reviews, 129 photos, 4 travelogues