"Die längste Theke der Welt and ... My new hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Düsseldorf by sabsi

Düsseldorf Travel Guide: 948 reviews and 2,149 photos

Düsseldorf is in the west of Germany, the capital city of Germany's most busy federal state, Northrhine Westphalia. And in 2002 it became my new hometown, I moved here to start a new job and somehow even a new life!

Düsseldorf is a good place to live. It has everything you need: Friendly people, lots of things to do, some beautiful architecture, a big river (For me a river or a port is a big plus for a city!), sunny weather, many events and of course a thrilling nightlife! The old town with its 280 pubs gave Düsseldorf its nickname - "Die längste Theke der Welt" (=World's longest bar!)!!! It's amazing, the streets of the old town are never empty - no matter whether you are there on a monday night or at the weekend!

This is what I wrote shortly after I had moved here. Now, after 6 years in the city, I have changed my mind about some points:

The people are not always friendly and it's hard to find the true
"Rheinländer".

Sunny weather? Well, my first summer here was extraordinary. It was all downhill from there and I found out that this area is among the most rainy areas in Germany.

The thrilling nightlife is only made for tourists only. I try to avoid the old town on weekends because all the stag nights and drunk tourists from the countryside turn this part of town into a "small-Mallorca". There's nowhere in the old town where you can have a quiet drink. Can't stand it. Luckily there are other areas which are better fun.

But even though the early fascination for the city is more or less gone I still enjoy living here. However, I mostly enjoy its location: Düsseldorf is close to so many great places for day trips (Holland, Belgium, Cologne, Ruhrgebiet). I also like the fact that is has a lively music and art scene so that there's always something going on. And there are sooo many nice restaurants to try - even though we are still searching for "the perfect pizza" and the "Grillteller-Greek".

My favourite part of Düsseldorf is still the media port district. This is our little "Docklands" area full of stylish atmosphere, trendy bars and big city views. I have added many pictures from there to my Düsseldorf page. Whenever I have guests I bring them here. Not so much for the bars anymore because the port has sold its soul a bit. But for showing off that I live in such a stylish town ;)

But I also found other places which make me feel like I never want to leave again... the bars of Flingern, the long beergarden along the Rhine, Unbehaun's icecream shop as well as the A46, A57, A3 and A2 - all the motorways bringing me to another place quickly ;)

Enjoy this page! It's constantly growing!

Sabs

• Pros:Nightlife at its best and nice river walks, great restaurants and museums
  • Cons:Too posh. Too expensive. Old town on weekends sucks.
  • In a nutshell:Home :-)
  • Last visit to Düsseldorf: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2008

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I have heard that the city is expensive, but the sites and avenues are something to behold-if I can ever get there. We go through there in April on way to Croatia-maybe we should stay and visit between flights? Good job of describing the city.

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2009 at 5:57 AM

Such a pity that I wasn't a member of VT and didn't know you last December. I spent two days in the city with a dear friend and we were able to find only the "godd restaurants" part. Lucky to find your page for later visits. Cheers from Ankara..

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2008 at 11:45 PM

Your city is nice, thanks for information.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2008 at 9:57 AM

Just checking how much is missed seeing in Düssel :) Oh, I would have taken Tandoori chicken too as I really like that Indian dish but I was very happy with my choice as well.

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2008 at 3:05 AM

Greetings Sabsi, from Sunny and very HOT Athens. I think I am beginning to want to visit those 'colder' spots as well! You look so happy with your partner in Switzerland! I'll be back to 'read' all the interesting stuff! Janet

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2008 at 12:27 AM

Hi. Some nice pictures of your hometown, it has been over 15 years since my second visit to Dusseldorf, in november I will be back for some Christmasshopping and Rosenstolz concert!!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2008 at 1:55 AM

Hi Sabs, hope you had a great time at the big Euromeet. You must be all VT-ed out, huh? Just letting you know that I finished my Düsseldorf page. I should have paid better attention to your tour (haha), but I still think it came out okay. Best, Bill

• mavl's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2008 at 11:45 AM

ok, take care and have fun then (yes, i'm sure you'll have fun). if you have time (or if you get bored), drop me a note to let me know how it's going (and how i'm behaving as a VA). cheers!

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2008 at 7:10 AM

Great page, Sabsi. I am researching for a stay in Dusseldorf later this summer. Can you tell me why there is no accommodation available at the end of May there? Does something happen at this time?

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2008 at 6:11 AM

Just a quixk Hullo, long time no visit ;-)))

sabsi Lives Here!

sabsi

“It isn`t good having anything exciting if you can`t share it (Winnie the Pooh)”

Badges & Stats in Düsseldorf

Have you been to Düsseldorf?