"Kassala (2010)" Wilayat Kassala by dirtyjelabia

Wilayat Kassala Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 56 photos

I've created an account mainly to warn people about the Hipton hotel in Kassala. My wife woke up in the middle of the night with a big cockroack on her face. We found two in the bedside draw and one in our bag, godknows how many more there were in our room. The room itself was dirty.

The next day the owner tld us they would be closed for four days because of Eid - thanks for telling us when we checked in and when we called in advance. They comandeered a taxi to show us other places and then made us pay for it.

We found a "five star" "resort" called Saray Timintay (0154882727) which was ok. It basically consists of "luxury" portacabins with artificial grass as a carpet. It's ok and was comfortable compared with the dirty hotels on offer. It costs 150SDG per night which is expensive but we didn't have a choice. The price does include breakfast, pick up and drop off at the bus station or airport. They also have wireless internet there. I couldn't get a connection in my room which was disappointing and also the shower was pretty pathetic. On the plus side the resort itslef is nice and relaxing. They have a nice garden area with a small dear, rabbits, cats and errr a goat. I would reccomend it as it takes the hassle out of seeing the two main sights ( the mountain, and Sawagee) and getting two and from the bus station. They dropped us off at 6am which was very good - especially by Sudanese standards!

We bought our ticket back to Khartoum from Souk alsharbi. It only cost 49 SDG which was cheaper than the 65SDG we paid in Khartoum. The company are called Diplomasee (Diplomatic in English) and was much better than the journey coming in (Tiger buses). Coming back it took about 7 1/2 hours compared with 10 1/2 going to Kessala from Khartoum - I've no idea why. The only problem with the buses is that they play the most irritating selection of Sudanese music and comedy very loudly. If you like the sound of a Sudanese "boy" band singing an eighties synth version of Craig David, or a comedian talking like Zed from Police Academy, you may of course enjoy it.

There's no real need to stay more than two nights in Kassala the attraction just take a few hours to see.

• Last visit to Wilayat Kassala: Nov 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 18, 2010

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Wilayat Kassala

Have you been to Wilayat Kassala?

Latest Activity in Wilayat Kassala