"Willlkommen in... Nämberch!" Nürnberg by Mikebond
Nürnberg Travel Guide: 943 reviews and 3,149 photos
Let's start by testing your geographical knowledge:
Question 1: "What's the name of this city?"
Your answer: "This is Nürnberg" (or Nuremberg, Norimberga, and so on)
A local's answer: "This is Nämberch"
Question 2: "What region does Nürnberg belong to?"
Your answer: "In Bayern, of course!"
A local's answer: "In Franken, selbstverständlich!" ("In Franconia, of course!")
Both you and the local would have given two correct answers, but from very different points of view.
If you look at the administrative subdivision of Deutschland into Länder, Nürnberg lies in Bayern (Bavaria). Apart from that, every local will tell you that this is Franken. Franconia is a historic region that todays belongs to Bayern (it is also an administrative unit of Bayern), but it has its own cultural features and its people still feel proud of their Franconian heritage. They also speak their local language, called fränkisch.
While walking across the streets of the city centre you will see a lot of shops selling any kind of products with the city coat of arms and the name of Franken.
Welcome to a cultural and historical island in the heart of Bayern!
I took a photo of this dustbin with an original flower decoration: I suppose the flower let people forget the smell of... more travel advice
During your visit at Sebaldkirche, you can take a short break and pray a little. The church offers an intimate corner... more travel advice
Written Jul 20, 2007
Written Apr 19, 2009
Frauenkirche - more to see
Mikebond's Related Pages
Nürnberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekends in Nürnberg"
- "I LOVED HISTORIC NUREMBERG!"
- "Willlkommen in... Nämberch!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nürnberg
- Hotels in Nürnberg
- Transportation in Nürnberg
- Nightlife in Nürnberg
- Restaurants in Nürnberg
- Shopping in Nürnberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Nürnberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nürnberg
- 49 Reviews
- 187 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Nürnberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nürnberg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 65 reviews, 214 photos
- Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 47 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos