"Breslau-Wrocław: a Mitteleuropean city" Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw by Mikebond

Wroclaw Travel Guide: 813 reviews and 2,158 photos

Under construction (both the city and this page)

Wrocław is the fourth Polish city by population, with over 600,000 inhabitants. It is a real European city because, along its trouble history, it belonged to different states and it absorbed many artistic styles.
Unfortunately, it was bombed during World War II: 75% of the buildings were destroyed and the population decreased from 300,000 to 60,000 people! After the war, everything was rebuilt but, as you can imagine, many art works and decorations were lost forever: this explains why most churches looks Romanesque or Gothic outside but modern inside and can let you think how beautiful Wrocław would be if it hadn't been bombed.
Despite its beautiful monuments and attractions (first of all the Rynek, the main square), the city still hasn't got many tourists, as it lacks touristic infrastructure. We didn't see any Italians beside us.
However, you should absolutely visit Wrocław if you travel to Southern Polska. Don't ignore this nice city just because it is not so famous as Kraków!

• Pros:it has very beautiful monuments
  • Cons:most churches were rebuilt after WWII
  • In a nutshell:a beautiful city with a sad history
  • Last visit to Wroclaw: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 13, 2011

• Aug 25, 2010 at 4:11 AM

I don't agree. I think there's enough space for pedestrians but not enough for cyclists.

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2010 at 2:11 AM

I was in Wroclaw so many years ago that it must have changed very much. Thank you for this virtual visit through your beautiful pictures!

• Sep 6, 2009 at 6:06 AM

To be precise these blocks are not inhabited by poor people. Majority of poles still lives in blocks.It can be very pleasant place to leave, they normally sourounded by trees or even parks, has schools, shopes near by.

• xdescendx's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Nice Wroclaw pics!!

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2008 at 8:40 AM

Beautiful pictures.... I am still thinking of visiting Poland one day, it is so close by...

• cold_dead_bunny's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 3:17 AM

oh Wroclaw... I hope one day I finally visit you... Hey Mike, why I am still not in your postcard list?? )))) Alena

• Anjutka's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 1:56 AM

Bella e interessante città...ma è abbastanza lontana da Krakow o?

• australia2's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2007 at 4:10 AM

Great pages Mike. We 'overnighted' in the student's dom on our way through! The Panorama is fascinating and so historic. It was moved from ???The trams are on my World Tram Cities list - and video !!! Well done.

• filipdebont's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2007 at 2:47 AM

Great Wroclaw page - I also enjoyed my stay in Wroclaw, I remember the colouful houses, good beer and beautiful blond polish girls in the streets

• pattypoo's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2007 at 1:11 PM

Beautiful Buildings but surely more than one family occupies them..Are they realy houses??

Mikebond

“All you need is Europe! - Tired to write pages that no one reads...”

Badges & Stats in Wroclaw

Have you been to Wroclaw?

Latest Activity in Wroclaw