"Breslau-Wrocław: a Mitteleuropean city" Wroclaw by Mikebond
Wroclaw Travel Guide: 949 reviews and 2,949 photos
Wrocław is the fourth Polish city by population, with over 600,000 inhabitants. It is a real European city because, along its trouble history, it belonged to different states and it absorbed many artistic styles.
Unfortunately, it was bombed during World War II: 75% of the buildings were destroyed and the population decreased from 300,000 to 60,000 people! After the war, everything was rebuilt but, as you can imagine, many art works and decorations were lost forever: this explains why most churches looks Romanesque or Gothic outside but modern inside and can let you think how beautiful Wrocław would be if it hadn't been bombed.
Despite its beautiful monuments and attractions (first of all the Rynek, the main square), the city still hasn't got many tourists, as it lacks touristic infrastructure. We didn't see any Italians beside us.
However, you should absolutely visit Wrocław if you travel to Southern Polska. Don't ignore this nice city just because it is not so famous as Kraków!
- Pros:it has very beautiful monuments
- Cons:most churches were rebuilt after WWII
- In a nutshell:a beautiful city with a sad history
My father and I took some pictures of these church from the botanical garden, without knowing what church it was. Thanks... more travel advice
There are many cycle tracks in Wroclaw, but I didn't see many people using them. However, it is safer to ride a bike... more travel advice
Mikebond's Related Pages
Wroclaw Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Four Weeks Summer Language Course in Wrocław"
- "WROCLAW AND ITS GENIUS LOCI"
- "Where my heart belongs"
- "Wroclaw - Beautiful capital of Lower Silesia"
- "Breslau-Wrocław: a Mitteleuropean city"
- "Wroclaw - Breslau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wroclaw
- Hotels in Wroclaw
- Transportation in Wroclaw
- Nightlife in Wroclaw
- Restaurants in Wroclaw
- Shopping in Wroclaw
- Warnings and Dangers in Wroclaw
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wroclaw
- 46 Reviews
- 151 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (55)
Have you been to Wroclaw?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wroclaw
- Commented on one of Mikebond's Wroclaw tips
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: Venetian Carnival 2015"
- updated a Wroclaw Travel Page "Breslau-Wrocław: a Mitteleuropean city"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Modern fountain in the Rynek"
- Wrote a Review Church of the Holy Cross on Ostrow Tumski in Wroclaw Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 65 reviews, 214 photos
- Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 47 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos