"Breslau-Wrocław: a Mitteleuropean city" Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw by Mikebond
Wroclaw Travel Guide: 813 reviews and 2,158 photos
Wrocław is the fourth Polish city by population, with over 600,000 inhabitants. It is a real European city because, along its trouble history, it belonged to different states and it absorbed many artistic styles.
Unfortunately, it was bombed during World War II: 75% of the buildings were destroyed and the population decreased from 300,000 to 60,000 people! After the war, everything was rebuilt but, as you can imagine, many art works and decorations were lost forever: this explains why most churches looks Romanesque or Gothic outside but modern inside and can let you think how beautiful Wrocław would be if it hadn't been bombed.
Despite its beautiful monuments and attractions (first of all the Rynek, the main square), the city still hasn't got many tourists, as it lacks touristic infrastructure. We didn't see any Italians beside us.
However, you should absolutely visit Wrocław if you travel to Southern Polska. Don't ignore this nice city just because it is not so famous as Kraków!
- Pros:it has very beautiful monuments
- Cons:most churches were rebuilt after WWII
- In a nutshell:a beautiful city with a sad history
My father and I took some pictures of these church from the botanical garden. Does anyone know what church it is? more travel advice
There are many cycle tracks in Wroclaw, but I didn't see many people using them. However, it is safer to ride a bike... more travel advice
Mikebond's Related Pages
Wroclaw Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where my heart belongs"
- "WROCLAW AND ITS GENIUS LOCI"
- "Wroclaw - Beautiful capital of Lower Silesia"
- "Breslau-Wrocław: a Mitteleuropean city"
- "Wroclaw - Breslau"
- "WrocLove - you'll love this city !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wroclaw
- Hotels in Wroclaw
- Transportation in Wroclaw
- Nightlife in Wroclaw
- Restaurants in Wroclaw
- Shopping in Wroclaw
- Warnings and Dangers in Wroclaw
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wroclaw
- 46 Reviews
- 151 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Wroclaw?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wroclaw
- Posted in Travel Gessate Forum "Re: Train From Venice To Gessate?"
- updated a Wroclaw Travel Page "Breslau-Wrocław: a Mitteleuropean city"
- Commented on one of thisisbanane's Wroclaw travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Modern fountain in the Rynek"
- Wrote a Review What church is this? in Wroclaw Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 64 reviews, 214 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 47 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos