"The "purest" Lithuanian capital!" Kaunas by Mikebond
Kaunas Travel Guide: 966 reviews and 1,691 photos
Kaunas was the second city I visited during my trip.
I was hosted by Martynas and Asta, a couple of young Lithuanians I had hosted in Rovigo few months earlier via CouchSurfing.
Unfortunately, the time I spent in Kaunas was not memorable, because I fell sick after being to a concert on the day of my arrival, when I was a bit tired.
Anyway, they showed me some hidden gems on the first day, and later I had some time to enjoy the city, which became the capital of Lithuania from 1920 to 1940, after Vilnius had been occupied by the Poles. However, from the beginning it was labelled as temporary capital, because Lithuanians were hoping to re-conquer Vilnius.
Still today, many Lithuanians connect Vilnius with the Polish dominion and with the big Polish community who lives there, while Kaunas is seen as a "100% Lithuanian" city.
- Pros:beautiful architecture
- Cons:quite ignored by tourists
The Church of St. Michael the Archangel is located at the end of Laisvės alėja. It was built as an Orthodox... more travel advice
Mikebond's Related Pages
Kaunas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Charming, peaceful, quiet and old"
- "Kaunas - the second largest city in Lithuania"
- "Kaunas - Lithuania's most Lithuanian city"
- "Really liked this place........"
- "Kaunas - Lithuanian capital in interwar period"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kaunas
- Hotels in Kaunas
- Transportation in Kaunas
- Nightlife in Kaunas
- Restaurants in Kaunas
- Shopping in Kaunas
- Warnings and Dangers in Kaunas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaunas
- 27 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Kaunas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaunas
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 65 reviews, 214 photos
- Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 47 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos