"From the Vikings to the D-Day" Basse-Normandie by Mikebond
Basse-Normandie Travel Guide: 1,612 reviews and 5,082 photos
The administrative region Basse-Normandie is a part of the historic region of Normandie, the other part is the administrative region Haute-Normandie.
Basse-Normandie consists of three départements:
14 Calvados (Caen);
50 Manche (Saint-Lô);
61 Orne (Alençon).
There are many reasons that can lead a tourist to this region, such as its beautiful sands or its churches. However, most people visit Basse-Normandie for its long, charming, sometimes sad history.
The name of the region dates of the Viking invasion of Northern France: the locals called Vikings Normans, which meant "people fron the North", and modern Normans are really Nordic people: tall, strong, blond and blue-eyed.
However, the first important date in the Norman history is certainly 1066, when William, Duke of Normandie (later called the Conqueror), defeated Harold II, King of the Anglosaxons near Hastings and became King of England with the name of William I.
Most information we have about this event are narrated in the tapisserie de la Reine Mathilde that you can see in Bayeux.
The Middle Ages were an important epoch for Normandie, since many churches were built, mainly in Gothic style, in Caen, Bayeux and other towns. Of course, a tourist must not miss the (too) famous Mont-Saint-Michel with its great abbey. The work of priests made Normandie one of the most important French regions.
Who in Europe doesn't know the date of 6th June 1944? Very few people, I guess. The landing on Normandie marked the end of Nazism and the beginning of the liberation of the continent. Unfortunately, the Normans had to pay a huge price for freedom: many towns, such as Caen or Le Havre (in Haute-Normandie) were destroyed at 90%. Luckily, they have been rebuilt as well as possible.
The USA also paid a huge price in terms of human lives: many paratrooper were killed by the German soldier even before touching the Norman soil. You can see many of them buried in the American cemetery in Colleville-sur-Mer.
- Pros:A region full of history and art
- In a nutshell:The daughter of War and Faith
The abbey of Cerisy-la-Forêt lies in the forêt de Cerisy (close to Balleroy) and was founded in the 6th century and... more travel advice
The small village of Balleroy is just mentioned in the guide my parents and I used to visit Normandie, still it really... more travel advice
Mikebond's Related Pages
Basse-Normandie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "World War Two battlefields"
- "Normandy, a turbulent piece of Europa"
- "Islands, Tapestrys, Beaches & History"
- "The D-Day Beaches and Museums"
- "On and Off the Road in Normandie"
- "From the Vikings to the D-Day"
- "The D-Day Landing Beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Basse-Normandie
- Hotels in Basse-Normandie
- Transportation in Basse-Normandie
- Nightlife in Basse-Normandie
- Restaurants in Basse-Normandie
- Shopping in Basse-Normandie
- Warnings and Dangers in Basse-Normandie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Basse-Normandie
- 50 Reviews
- 181 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Basse-Normandie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Basse-Normandie
- Posted in Travel Ravenna Forum "Re: Choosing between Ravenna and..."
- updated a Basse-Normandie Travel Page "From the Vikings to the D-Day"
- Commented on one of Rojo72's Basse-Normandie travel pages
- Wrote a Review Cerisy-la-Forêt in Basse-Normandie Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cerisy-la-Forêt"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 64 reviews, 214 photos
- Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 43 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (195)
Top Basse-Normandie hotels
- Caen Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 374 Photos
- Bayeux Hotels
- 183 Reviews - 522 Photos
- Honfleur Hotels
- 106 Reviews - 332 Photos
- Mont Saint Michel Hotels
- 296 Reviews - 957 Photos
- Cherbourg Hotels
- 87 Reviews - 239 Photos
- Courseulles-sur-Mer Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 40 Photos
- Arromanches-les-Bains Hotels
- 25 Reviews - 98 Photos
- Le Havre Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 32 Photos
- Valognes Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 18 Photos
- Deauville-les-Bains Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Creully Hotels
- 1 Review - 4 Photos
- Beuvron-en-Auge Hotels
- 14 Reviews - 48 Photos
- Lisieux Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 43 Photos
- Granville Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Barfleur Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 36 Photos