"Forget everything about France!" Top 5 Page for this destination Bretagne by Mikebond
Bretagne Travel Guide: 2,945 reviews and 10,175 photos
Bretagne (Breizh) is a region of France, but it's much different from the rest of France. People feel Breton, Celtic, European but not French.
Many cultural aspects make this region different from the rest of the country: the Breton language is still spoken by some people and used in folklore (e.g. in Guerlesquin, Plestin-les-Grèves, etc.) and religion (e.g. in Guimiliau); people are much more religious than in the rest of France; and many more...
Bretagne consists of four départements:
22 Côtes d'Armor (Saint-Brieuc);
29 Finistère (Quimper);
35 Ille-et-Vilaine (Rennes);
56 Morbihan (Vannes).
Ille-et-Vilaine is the only département where Breton is not spoken. The Breton of Morbihan, known as Vannetais, is a bit different from the one spoken in the two other départements. Finistère is the most different from the rest of France.
- Pros:it has kept its traditions alive
The Breton flag is called Gwen-ha-Du ("White and Black"). It was created in 1925, so it is very recent. The eleven... more travel advice
SPREV stands for "Sauvegarde du Patrimoine Religieux En Vie" ("Protection of the Living Religious Heritage"). It is a... more travel advice
Mikebond's Related Pages
Bretagne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brittany -Bretagne - Breizh"
- "Bretagne and Charm!"
- "South Finistére"
- "Forget everything about France!"
- "French, yes, but Breton first"
- "A Very Different France"
- "A Brief Breton Interlude"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bretagne
- Hotels in Bretagne
- Transportation in Bretagne
- Nightlife in Bretagne
- Restaurants in Bretagne
- Shopping in Bretagne
- Warnings and Dangers in Bretagne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bretagne
- 93 Reviews
- 377 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Bretagne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bretagne
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 65 reviews, 214 photos
- Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 47 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos