"Ferrara" Top 5 Page for this destination Ferrara by Mikebond
Ferrara Travel Guide: 327 reviews and 835 photos
Ferrara was one of the most important seigniories in the Italian Renaissance. The house of Este (or Estensi) made Ferrara a political power: their influence extended to the Polésine (the province of Rovigo between the rivers Po and Adige, in Veneto). However, under their dinasty, Ferrara became also an art city. Ercole I had an extension of the city built by famous architect Biagio Rossetti at the end of the 15th century (this area is called Addizione Erculea "Herculean addition").
Ferrara was also the seat of an important archbishopric. Some members of the Este house were bishops themselves.
Lots of churches remains from the Middle Ages and Renaissance, the most important of which is the Cattedrale di San Giorgio (usually referred to as Duomo).
Many people know the palio of Siena, in Toscana (Tuscany), a horse race that takes place in summer; however, few know that Ferrara has its own palio and, guess what... it is the most ancient in Italia and in the world. Moreover, it doesn't consists only of a horse race, but of two competitions among young Ferrarese boys and girls (Palio dei Putti and Palio delle Putte) and of a unique race of female donkeys (Palio dei Somari).
These races take place at Piazza Ariostea, but they are preceded by a wonderful parade of the eight contradas (Ferrara's quarters) in ancient costumes. I was lucky to be in Ferrara on 1st June 2008 and to attend it! The palio usually take place on the last May Sunday every year.
I have already uploaded all the videos I took, but I will need some time to upload some photos (mainly because it's hard to choose the best ones, they are all very nice). Meanwhile, you can see all the photos in this Flickr album. Enjoy them and tell me which ones you'd like to see on VT!
- Pros:it has kept its original centre
- Cons:too many bikes, even in pedestrian areas
- In a nutshell:a gift from the Middle Ages and Renaissance to the 21st century
The archbishop's palace is located at Corso Martiri Della Libertà, 77, not far from the Castle and the Cathedral. more travel advice
The Clock Tower you can see near the City Hall palace and the Cathedral was built in the 13th century. more travel advice
Mikebond's Related Pages
Ferrara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Medieval town of Ferrara"
- "Ferrara - charming, medieval city"
- "My second town"
- "Origins Wrapped in Mystery: Ferrara"
- "Ferrara, town of Estense's Family"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ferrara
- Hotels in Ferrara
- Transportation in Ferrara
- Nightlife in Ferrara
- Restaurants in Ferrara
- Shopping in Ferrara
- Warnings and Dangers in Ferrara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ferrara
- 20 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Ferrara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ferrara
Videos in FerraraSee All Videos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 64 reviews, 214 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 47 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (195)
Latest Ferrara hotel reviews
- Hotel De La Ville Ferrara
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 25, 2013
- Il Bagattino
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 29, 2013
- Orologio Hotel Ferrara
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Hotel Ferrara
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 7, 2013
- Suite Duomo Hotel
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2010
- Student's Hostel Estense
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Hotel Annunziata Ferrara
- 268 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Ripagrande
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2013
- Hotel Touring Ferrara
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Albergo San Romano
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 29, 2013