"Gorizia, Gorica, Görz: three souls for one town" Gorizia by Mikebond
Gorizia Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 109 photos
I have been to Gorizia in May 2005 and I simply loved it, with its multi-ethnic soul: Habsburg-style buildings, people speaking Venetian-Triestine dialect and Slovenian. I found a really United-Europe atmosphere, although I read that co-existance of the two peoples is not always very easy.
I walked from the Gorizia Station to the Piazza Transalpina, where the Iron Curtain was built in 1947: relatives or neighbours were separated. On the other side, Jugoslavija built the town of Nova Gorica ("New Gorizia"). On 1st May 2004 Slovenija joined the European Union, so the Iron Curtain was definitively destroyed and a mosaic replaced the boundary stones.
December 21st 2007 was a historic day for Gorizia, Trieste and the whole region: Slovenija joined the Schengen borderless area of free movement for people. There are now no more controls at the borders between Gorizia and Nova Gorica. I would like to go back there and to pass from the Italian town to its Slovenian sister across the Piazza Transalpina.
The "things to do" tips appear in the chronological order of when I visited the town, so if you go there, you can follow this order, as well.
- Pros:it combines three souls and it is full of trees
- In a nutshell:a little Wien on the hills
The synagogue was built in 1756 and restored in 1984. It is open to the public, but I didn't visit it. The ground floor... more travel advice
This tip deals with the most touching moments of my visit to Gorizia, because "I am Europa" and the Piazza Transalpina... more travel advice
Mikebond's Related Pages
Gorizia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gorizia, Gorica, Görz: three souls for one town"
- "GORIZIA OR GORICA?!?"
- "A Divided City No Longer"
- "GORICA - NOVA GORICA"
- "Boarder crossing"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gorizia
- Transportation in Gorizia
- Restaurants in Gorizia
- Warnings and Dangers in Gorizia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gorizia
- 18 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Gorizia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gorizia
Photos in GoriziaSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 64 reviews, 214 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 47 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos