"Gorizia, Gorica, Görz: three souls for one town" Gorizia by Mikebond

Gorizia Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 109 photos

I have been to Gorizia in May 2005 and I simply loved it, with its multi-ethnic soul: Habsburg-style buildings, people speaking Venetian-Triestine dialect and Slovenian. I found a really United-Europe atmosphere, although I read that co-existance of the two peoples is not always very easy.
I walked from the Gorizia Station to the Piazza Transalpina, where the Iron Curtain was built in 1947: relatives or neighbours were separated. On the other side, Jugoslavija built the town of Nova Gorica ("New Gorizia"). On 1st May 2004 Slovenija joined the European Union, so the Iron Curtain was definitively destroyed and a mosaic replaced the boundary stones.
December 21st 2007 was a historic day for Gorizia, Trieste and the whole region: Slovenija joined the Schengen borderless area of free movement for people. There are now no more controls at the borders between Gorizia and Nova Gorica. I would like to go back there and to pass from the Italian town to its Slovenian sister across the Piazza Transalpina.

The "things to do" tips appear in the chronological order of when I visited the town, so if you go there, you can follow this order, as well.

• Pros:it combines three souls and it is full of trees
  • Cons:none
  • In a nutshell:a little Wien on the hills
  • Last visit to Gorizia: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 8, 2008

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Great page. We are currently inTrieste.

• Sputnikboy's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2008 at 1:15 PM

Neanche io che ci abito vicino conoscevo i nomi di tutti quei monumenti! Non hai proprio tralasciato nulla di Gorizia, complimenti!!!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2008 at 10:13 AM

Great page Michele! What a fascinating city! The Chiesa di Sant'Ignazio looks beautiful and the Piazza Transalpina, well, that speaks for itself!

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2006 at 11:29 AM

I visited Gorizia several times, and with your excellent page I revisited this interesting town.

• Nov 19, 2006 at 5:12 PM

MilanSLO is right, Nova Gorica is younger and was never united to Gorizia... whatever... flad you liked it, it's my town ^-^ and the shengen treaty will start in 2008

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 8:48 AM

What wonderful architecture. It looks absolutely beautiful.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2005 at 2:50 AM

Qualche anno fa la frequentavo spesso, hai raggione, piccola e bella.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2005 at 1:49 PM

Though I have never been to Gorizia, I have always been fascinated by this city. I had noticed the GO car plates either Italian or Jugoslavian/Slovenian! I watched the 2004 celebrations on the TV. Now, I need to visit the twin city itself !

• MilanSLO's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2005 at 3:13 PM

Dividing the town in two sides ? That is a big lie, because Nova Gorica in that time did not exist.

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2005 at 12:28 PM

Sicuramente un'altra città da visitare!!! Le chiese ricordano molto lo stile barocco viennese!! Belle foto!! Ciao

Mikebond

“All you need is Europe! - Tired to write pages that no one reads...”

Badges & Stats in Gorizia

Have you been to Gorizia?

Latest Activity in Gorizia