"In the heart of Tuscany" Poggibonsi by Mikebond
Poggibonsi Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 6 photos
Poggibonsi joins the advantages of lying right in the middle of Tuscany, halfway between Florence and Siena, to a long and important history as industrial town at the crossing point of many routes connecting the North to the South of the Italian paeninsula.
Its name comes from Latin Podium Bonitii, i.e. Hill of Bonizio, the owner of this land, where he built a fortified castle around 1150, called Poggiobonizio. The position of the castle was strategical, due to the continuous rivalry between Florence and Siena, and helped the town gain an important role as trade centre among Florence, Siena, Empoli and Volterra.
The history of Poggibonsi dates back to the prehistory and, later, to the Etruscan and Roman age, while it reached its greatest growth and development in the Middle Ages, between the 10th and 12th century, thanks to the Via Francigena.
Today, Poggibonsi is a medium-sized town with around 25,000 inhabitants and plays an important role as industrial centre. It doesn't have so much to show to tourists as its renowned neighbours, but it offers a more quiet and authentic atmosphere.
- Pros:not invaded by tourists
- Cons:maybe too underrated
- In a nutshell:The ideal basis to visit the Chianti and Val d'Elsa regions!
The Chiesa di San Giuseppe ("Saint Joseph's church") was built in 1960-62 on a plan by Carlo Del Zanna. I didn't visit... more travel advice
Palazzo Pretorio ("Magistrate's Palace") was built around the end of the 13th century. It was the seat of the civil from... more travel advice
Mikebond's Related Pages
Poggibonsi Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Poggibonsi
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Poggibonsi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poggibonsi
Photos in PoggibonsiSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 65 reviews, 214 photos
- Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 47 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos