"Torino" Top 5 Page for this destination Torino by Mikebond
Torino Travel Guide: 746 reviews and 1,634 photos
An Italian who is planning a trip to Torino is often asked "Have you got any relatives living there?", as it was the case when I told to someone I was going to spend some days in that city for 2005 New Year's Day.
Unfortunately tourists do not consider Torino enough, and the 2006 Winter Olympics didn't help so much: the fourth biggest Italian city is always implicitely associated to immigration and FIAT factories.
It is true that many people, especially from Southern Italian regions, went to live there in the past decades, which explains why now there are (almost) more Southern people than locals; however, this phaenomenon and the huge amount of factories should not make you think that Torino is not a worth visiting city. Instead, it is very beautiful and despite its million inhabitants, you don't feel as in a metropole thanks to the wide streets, the many pedestrian boulevards and so on.
The 20th Olympic Winter Games started in Torino on 10th February 2006 with a great opening ceremony and finished on 26th February.
This event has had and is going to have a major impact on Torino, especially for the several tourists who visited the city. It was the occasion for upgrading the city infrastructures and Torino returned the "Italian capital city" for a fortnight after becoming the first capital city of the new-born Italian Kingdom on 1861.
- Pros:it has very wide boulevards and streets for pedestrians
- Cons:I didn't see the local people
- In a nutshell:a real surprise!
You'd better avoid Porta Palazzo when it gets dark, since you may find some disreputable people. That area is known for... more travel advice
Here are more light art works. I particularly liked the firework-like work, which should have been in Piazza Castello.... more travel advice
- Juventus products
- Torino is a cold city!
- See All GTT
- See All Porta Palatina
Mikebond's Related Pages
Torino Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Torino aka Turin"
- "Torino - After the Olympics"
- "Torino, 2006 Winter Olimpics"
- "Turin - The Italian Job"
- "THE FIRST ITALIAN CAPITAL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Torino
- Hotels in Torino
- Transportation in Torino
- Nightlife in Torino
- Restaurants in Torino
- Shopping in Torino
- Warnings and Dangers in Torino
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Torino
- 33 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Torino?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Torino
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 64 reviews, 214 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 47 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos