"Habsburg Empire + Italia + Jugoslavija = Trieste" Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste by Mikebond
Trieste Travel Guide: 761 reviews and 2,001 photos
Trieste, today the capital city of the region of Friùli-Venezia Giulia, has had a long and difficult history that, according to me, can be summed up in the equation I've written as a title for this page.
Founded by the Romans with the name of Tergeste, it was part of the Austrian empire from the 18th century until 1918, when it became an Italian town. After WWII it was under the temporary American administration which divided its territory into "zone A" (the town itself) and "zone B" (Istria and Fiume). "Zone B" was then attributed to the recently formed Socialist Federal Republic of Jugoslavija and Trieste went back to Italia in October-November 1954. In October 2004 there were great celebrations for the 50 anniversary of Trieste's coming back to Italia.
- Pros:very beautiful in everything
- Cons:it can give you the impression of being too still in winter week-ends
The evangelical lutheran church lies behind the main Post Office. It was built in Neo-Gothic style and inaugurated in... more travel advice
The Marian Temple rises on Mount Grisa, 350 m above sea level. Trieste's Archbishop had vowed to build a church to... more travel advice
- See All Reaching or leaving Trieste by bus
- See All A traditional pizzeria and restaurant
- See All Christmas animals
- See All James Joyce
- See All -15% on all books
Mikebond's Related Pages
Trieste Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Habsburg Empire + Italia + Jugoslavija = Trieste"
- "paoseo's new Trieste Page"
- "TRIESTE - TRST"
- "Trieste - Italian city of grand architecture"
- "J's Journey to Trieste"
- "A Hapsburg Delight"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trieste
- Hotels in Trieste
- Transportation in Trieste
- Nightlife in Trieste
- Restaurants in Trieste
- Shopping in Trieste
- Warnings and Dangers in Trieste
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trieste
- 79 Reviews
- 208 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Trieste?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trieste
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 65 reviews, 214 photos
- Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 47 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos