Arras Off The Beaten Path Tips by Mikebond Top 5 Page for this destination
Arras Off The Beaten Path: 7 reviews and 16 photos
This is the masterpiece of Saint Jean Baptiste: a Deposition by Pieter Paul Rubens, whose mannerism is evident in Christ's body, that looks green. I particularly love the blond Madeleine, painted with a lot of curves, in contrast with the stiffness of the other characters.
Apart from Rubens's painting, worth remarking are also the painted windows of the church, like the ones you see in the second and third photos.
Saint Jean Baptiste
When my parents and I saw its tower from the Grand' Place, we thought it was the belfry, since Saint John the Baptist's wasn't even mentioned in our guidebook. Indeed, this church was an interesting discovery.
It was rebuilt in 1918 in the original late Romanesque - early Gothic style. If outside it looks simple and austere (Romanesque), inside it is very bright and wide (Gothic), with coloured windows, sculpted altars and a Deposition by Rubens, which I will show to you in the next tip.
The interior of Saint John the Baptist is very interesting from the architectural point of view. It consists of a nave with two aisles. Look at the two altars: the high altar with the statue of the Christ and the other altar with Mary and the Child.
There is also an organ (though not a very beautiful one). However, what may already have caught your attention is a painting, and not by an ordinary artist...
This is a church that you can see from the top of the belfry. I still haven't identified it.
More Reviews (21)
Mikebond's Related Pages
Arras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arras:Even if not very known the turning is worth!"
- "Arras and its beautiful squares"
- "Awesome squares, beautiful town"
- "A one hour stroll"
- "Arras-ing abart?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arras
- Hotels in Arras
- Transportation in Arras
- Restaurants in Arras
- See All...
Explore the World
- Whiddy Island Hotels
- Hollingwood Hotels
- Elizabethton Hotels
- Schiplaken Hotels
Badges & Stats in Arras
- 25 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Arras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arras
Photos in ArrasSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 64 reviews, 214 photos
- Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 43 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos
Latest Arras hotel reviews
- Hotel les 3 Luppars
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2012
- La Maison d'Hotes - La Corne d'Or
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Balladins Arras Confort
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Ibis - Arras
- 151 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Best Western Hotel L'Univers Arras
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013