"Arras" Top 5 Page for this destination Arras by Mikebond
Arras Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 271 photos
Arras is the capital city of the Pas-de-Calais département and is not very renowned as a tourist destination. However, it has certainly so much to offer that my half-day visit proved not to be enough.
Many buildings of this city look similar to those of Flemish and Dutch cities. This happens because Arras was dominated by the Spanish from 1492 to 1659. In that period, the Kingdom of España owned the so-called Spanish Netherlands: most of those territories gained independence in 1830 and formed today's Kingdom of Belgique-België. However, Arras and other Northern French provinces never belonged to Belgium.
The name of Arras comes from the Gaulish people of Atrebates who lived in Northern France.
Even if Arras is not famous as a tourist city, all French people know it thanks to an old traditional song performed, among others, by Fernandel: Avec l'ami Bidasse ("With my friend Bidasse").
- Pros:Great architecture
- Cons:Too little known
This nice cat was looking at us from a window, so I photographed it. In the second pic, my mum appears next to the... more travel advice
Here you see more views of Saint-Vaast cathedral: 1) an aisle of the church with a precious carpet against the wall; 2)... more travel advice
Mikebond's Related Pages
Arras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Arras:Even if not very known the turning is worth!"
- "Arras and its beautiful squares"
- "Awesome squares, beautiful town"
- "A one hour stroll"
- "Arras-ing abart?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arras
- Hotels in Arras
- Transportation in Arras
- Restaurants in Arras
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Arras
- 25 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Arras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arras
Photos in ArrasSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 65 reviews, 214 photos
- Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 47 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos