"Boulogne: an international town" Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer by Mikebond
Boulogne-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 369 photos
Although Boulogne-sur-Mer is quite a small town (44,200 inhabitants), it has played an important role in the French and Brisith history.
Founded by the Romans with the name of Bononia, it was contested by the English and the French in the 16th century.
It's from there that Napoleon had planned to invade Britain at the beginning of the 19th century; since then, Boulogne has always had ties with the opposite side of the Channel (La Manche in French). Today, it is twinned with Folkestone, which many ferries connect all day long to Boulogne. This explains why you will often hear someone speak English while you are going for a walk in the downtown.
Also, the first Esperanto Universal Congress was held there in 1905.
Today Boulogne is a lively town with a great cultural heritage. It offers much to visitors (museums, concerts, and so on), but I think it is not as known as it should be.
- Pros:not very big, but with a lot of attractions
- Cons:little known
When you arrive in Boulogne, you will likely see this Egyptian boat before entering the City. It is a replica of the... more travel advice
Some houses have beautiful Art Nouveau balconies, like the one you see in this picture. Have a look at the second photo... more travel advice
Mikebond's Related Pages
Boulogne-sur-Mer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Boulogne: an international town"
- "Boulogne: a good place for a taste of France"
- "Waterworld - Nausicaa"
- "A well known beach!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Hotels in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Transportation in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Nightlife in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Restaurants in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Shopping in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Warnings and Dangers in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- 32 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Boulogne-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Posted in Travel Ravenna Forum "Re: Choosing between Ravenna and..."
- Uploaded a Video to Boulogne-sur-Mer
- Wrote a Review Outside the walls in Boulogne-sur-Mer Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Outside the walls"
- updated a Boulogne-sur-Mer Travelogue "More spots in the basilica"
- Commented on one of Marie-Claude's Boulogne-sur-Mer travel pages
Videos in Boulogne-sur-MerSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 64 reviews, 214 photos
- Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 43 reviews, 128 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos
Latest Boulogne-sur-Mer hotel reviews
- Hotel Clery Chateau d'Hesdin l'Abbe
- 111 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Ibis Boulogne Vieille Ville
- 117 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel de La Matelote
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 8, 2013
- Etap Hotel Boulougne Sur Mer - Centre Ville les Ponts
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 25, 2013
- Hotel Metropole
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Ibis Boulogne / Mer Centre Port
- 93 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013