"A French city in Bretagne" Top 5 Page for this destination Rennes by Mikebond
Rennes Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 407 photos
Rennes is the historical and administrative capital city of Bretagne, but it has been sharing this role with Nantes along the times.
When I visited it, I had the impression that Rennes and its département Ille-et-Vilaine are not very Breton from the cultural point of view. In fact, this is the only part of the region where Breizhonnec (the Breton language) is not spoken.
However, my VT friend JLBG has remarked that "Rennes is Breton. It is the capital city of the Bretagne Gallo (Haute Bretagne), as opposed to the Bretagne Bretonnante (Basse Bretagne). Local people didn't speak French, but Gallo, a Roman language. Breton doesn't refer only to Low Bretagne."
Thanks to Jean-Louis for pointing this out.
- Pros:very clean, with a good public transport system
- Cons:it isn't a Breton city like the others
- In a nutshell:A city of students and young people!
The Jardin du Thabor is the park of Rennes, the lungs of the town. However, don't think it is just a park with trees and... more travel advice
The Jardin du Thabor was the kitchen garden of the Benedictines, who called it like the Palestinian mount. In the 18th... more travel advice
Mikebond's Related Pages
Rennes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A French city in Bretagne"
- "sandravdp's new Mont St Michel & St Malo Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rennes
- Hotels in Rennes
- Transportation in Rennes
- Nightlife in Rennes
- Restaurants in Rennes
- Shopping in Rennes
- Warnings and Dangers in Rennes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rennes
- 20 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Rennes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rennes
Photos in RennesSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trieste Intro, 79 reviews, 208 photos, 2 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 64 reviews, 214 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 49 reviews, 187 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Augsburg Intro, 49 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Wroclaw Intro, 46 reviews, 151 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rovigo Intro, 47 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boulogne-sur-Mer Intro, 32 reviews, 116 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Torino Intro, 33 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arras Intro, 25 reviews, 98 photos, 2 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 61 reviews, 60 photos