"Alba Iulia-Tourist attractions" Top 5 Page for this destination Alba Iulia by ancabelascu
Alba Iulia Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 247 photos
We have so many things to visit in Alba Iulia and so little people know about this Transylvania town! Maybe because it is my hometown and a place I love, but I can say it is a great place to visit. It does not take much to see the most important objectives but I can say it is worthwhile.Everywher you go you can find something linked to a history event and some of the greatest in Romanian and European history. The historic part of the town is a combination of times and events starting from the Roman Empire domination and to the Unification of the Romanian regions.
Some of the events that took place here are written in the history books and Alba Iulia is treated as a very important place.
In the last years the locat authorities contributes a lot to the change of the town. if During the communist era all te hisorical buildings and places were treated with indifference and let to fall, now everything changed. A usual day here, if you come as a tourist, can be very attractive.
Built by the Austrian Empire, the fortress is in a Vauban Style. It is very similar to other French fortresses built by Vauban himself. It was built on the ruins of the Roman constructions, that is why the combination between the two is obvious.
It has several palaces inside the walls, a minting factory ruins, the gate of the Roman castrum,the Camponiere-guard house, several anti mine tunnels etc. Here are some more information about it
You can also visit the National History Museum, The Unification Cathedral, The itinerary of the Three fortifications, in the town.
Around Alba Iulia there are many places, historic ones but also some of geograhic and travel interests, because the town is situated between sime mountains, so if you come in winter you can go skying (Arieseni and Sugag), if you come in summer you can find thermal baths, hiking paths and mountain attractions.
- Pros:Great location and many tourist attractions, clean, nice town
- Cons:Very small
- In a nutshell:Great Romanian Town-http://www.apulum.ro/index-en.htm
Finally Alba Iulia has a place where to use the bikes. The South and the North places between the walls of the fortress... more travel advice
Because the Fortress is so big and people are willing to have fun all the time, during summer there are some places that... more travel advice
ancabelascu's Related Pages
Alba Iulia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Citadels, tunnels and cathedrals"
- "ALBA IULIA"
- "Alba Iulia-Tourist attractions"
- "Alba Iulia"
- "Alba Iulia: Old Transylvanian Capital"
- "The legend of Alba Iulia"
- "Historic Alba Iulia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alba Iulia
- Hotels in Alba Iulia
- Transportation in Alba Iulia
- Nightlife in Alba Iulia
- Restaurants in Alba Iulia
- Warnings and Dangers in Alba Iulia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alba Iulia
- 4 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Alba Iulia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alba Iulia
Photos in Alba IuliaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Romania Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alba Iulia Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Thasos Intro, 2 reviews, 12 photos
- Gyula Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos
- Rome Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- France Intro, 1 review, 5 photos
- Thasos Island 1 review, 3 photos
- Greece Intro, 3 photos
- Moraitika Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- England Intro, 1 photo