"my Budapest" Budapest by dtamas

Budapest Travel Guide: 7,711 reviews and 17,863 photos

I'm one of those fortunates who was born in a nice, historical city. Though Budapest is not huge, especially the inner parts, and even though I walk there every day, I always find something new (to me) that used to be there for long-long decades in fact. This still surprises me, however I found out the magic: don't just walk, and look around, but look around above too! There are ornaments, sculptures on (almost) every building in the inner city, and you'll miss many of those for sure if you don't raise your glance above.

... ah, yes, and please don't be confused by the illustration: this photo was taken in fact looking below from Gellért hill :)

The flood of Danube peaked today (26/March/2002). The riverside was quiet and peaceful in the sunny morning. The city lived its everydays. Only some nuts like me bothered to slow down and take some photos of the great whirling water that splits the city in the middle. See my travelogue for photos of the flood.

Today (27/July/2001) I took my camera with me, dressed like a foreign tourist, and walked the streets of Budapest wandering on everything a tourist would wander. I had a lot of fun realizing that local people assumed I'm a tourist, and they behave like that. This sort of activity is something worth trying: you'll learn more about your own culture than playing your usual role in it.

(09/August/2005) I'd like to share this photo of a beautiful double rainbow this day, popped up above the city after a cool breeze.

• Intro Updated Aug 10, 2005

• Updated Comment
    shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2006 at 7:51 AM

I miss Budapest -- it's been 6 years now... I love your tip on the little princess.

Other comments
  • Mar 15, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Very good Thai restaurant. Food was exellent and the staff of the restaurant was very frendly.

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2004 at 6:34 AM

Thanks for sharing your excellent Budapest tips!

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2003 at 9:03 AM

Great, beautiful, amazing place to live! Thanks for sharing.

• kaloz's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2003 at 11:50 PM

There is a lot to discover in Budapest. I will only pack jeans for myself (haha)

• mrdarius's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2003 at 2:13 PM

i've heard that banks give the best rates...is this true. good page overall...nice travelogue. will be in budapest this summer mid-july. also to lake balaton...any suggestions?

• IngaA's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2003 at 3:45 AM

nagyon jó, you did a good job by preserving this fantastic city

• Pakistaniguy's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2003 at 3:24 AM

Very Interesting & helpful tips. I am planning a trip to your country in Feb next year !

• gabynicolae's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2003 at 2:30 AM

Great info and pics! It's good to know better Budapest, the city that I'll visit in 2 weeks! Thanks !

• Feb 25, 2003 at 12:18 PM

looks great

dtamas Lives Here!

dtamas

“Wherever you go, there you are!”

Badges & Stats in Budapest

Have you been to Budapest?

Latest Activity in Budapest