"Ciudad Ti Vigan" Vigan by buenababe
Vigan Travel Guide: 417 reviews and 1,221 photos
The capital of Ilocos Sur,
It is a World Heritage Site in that it is one of numerous Hispanic towns in the Philippines, and is well-known for its cobblestone streets, and a unique architecture that fuses Philippine building design, and construction with colonial European architecture.
The city's full name at the time of its Spanish foundation was "Villa Fernandina", or "Town of Ferdinand", in honour of Prince Ferdinand, the firstborn son of King Philip II of Spain. As the city grew, and the seat of the Archdiocese of Nueva Segovia transferred to Vigan, it was later re-named "Ciudad Fernandina de Vigan" ("Ferdinand's City of Vigan").
The Vigan Cathedral stands tall with her beauty and magnifence at the the heart of Vigan. It is one of the oldest churches in the Philippines and it reflects that the Philippines is once is a spanish colony.
One of the Martyrs during the Spanish regime is Fr. Burgos. He was a filipino priest who fought against the spaniards. In Vigan, the Plaza is named after him in honor of his heroic deed for the love of our Motherland.
- Pros:brings out the patriotism in u
- Cons:hot and humid (when we were there)
- In a nutshell:it's more than just a place, it's HISTORY.
buenababe's Related Pages
Vigan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "vigan if i can ..."
- "Vigan - that "Spanish" feel.."
- " Nostalgia at VIGAN"
- "Back to the 16th century Ilocos"
- "The oldest city north of the Philippines"
- "The Heritage City of Vigan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vigan
- Hotels in Vigan
- Transportation in Vigan
- Nightlife in Vigan
- Restaurants in Vigan
- Shopping in Vigan
- Warnings and Dangers in Vigan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vigan
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Vigan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vigan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bacolod City Intro, 51 reviews, 108 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panglao Island Intro, 15 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Siquijor Island Intro, 5 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sipalay Intro, 3 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Province of Bohol Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos
- Apo Island Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos
- Boracay Island Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
- Pagudpud Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Hong Kong Intro, 3 photos
- City of Manila Intro, 3 photos