"Morocco trip 2010 day 2. Tizi ' Test pass" andy_johns's Profile

Cycling over Tizi n'Test pass- 2092 metres, 6800 ft. All downhill from here!

Morocco trip 2010 day 3. The other side . .

The reward- a 16 mile freewheel! no traffic, no donkeys, no people and almost perfect silence. It was a Sunday. . . We stayed at the top and the road's in the background. Fantastic views!

Morocco trip day 4. Brokebike Mountain

Got lost and slept under the stars- woke up to this scene. Just 10 miles from Agadir and the sea but only mountains visible in any direction. Bike finally gave out 4 miles from Agadir when the deraillieurs got mangled in the back wheel. All downhill so no problem.

• Intro Written Nov 29, 2010

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM

How did you get up that high? Pedalling up??

• Jul 3, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Yes but not in one go. Arrived at Marrakech airport mid day the previous day and cycled to the foothills where we stayed in and old French Foreign Legion place that's now doing rooms. Then to the top the next day, a decent climb and fabulous views at the top as the reward.

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Hey, Freewheel as in downhill without pedalling??

• Jul 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM

There might have been five seconds of pedalling but that's about it. No other traffic, no people, no sounds . . we stopped half way down and just listened and we could hear dogs barking and kids playing in a village in the valley below, probably about two miles away.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2011 at 1:18 PM

hey see you have your recent pics and page up and running! Great to see these! A belated Happy New Year to you and wishing lots more safe and adventurous travels ahead of you this year!

• Jan 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Hi Angie, thanks for this. I was in Tafroute in 2009 before I made contact with you so not in a position to take your advice- I remember contacting you when I was planning a bike trip over Tizi n'Test and that was the following year. I had heat exhaustion the day I arrived in Tafroute and I was quite ill for several days afterwards. Our first day was from Agadir to Tiznit then the ride from Tiznit to Tafroute was very hot and hard work as we climbed up and into the Ante Atlas; no cooling breeze and no shade. I had no energy at all as we reached the top and my heart kept racing even though we stopped often for rests. Made it to a hotel at the top and managed to get a lift to Tafroute with some French people who had been exploring the Western Sahara in 4 x 4s. They camped just outside Tafroute, as approached from Tiznit. I managed to get rested and out that evening but I hardly ate anything for the next 4 days, and worst of all I couldn't take in liquids. I was very dehydrated and when I got home I found I'd gone from 77kg to 69kg. Despite all that, the day after we arrived in Tafroute I rode from there to Ait Baha and it was one of the most amazing days I've ever had on a bike. The road out of Tafroute was wonderful as we rode up alongside that huge cliff. Then over a couple of passes. The road was almost totally deserted and included something like a 20 mile freewheel almost all the way to Ait Baha. Incredible! Took a grand taxi to the bus station just before Agadir the next day, cost 20 dirhams for me and the same for my bike, a bargain I reckon! Rammed into a beaten up old Merc that could barely move but actually did the job fine, with about 5 local for company! Brilliant, just wish I'd felt better. Took the bus to Marrakech then home. Andy

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
      Jan 19, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Hi thanks Andy, amazing how time gets away! great trip you did though, what id normally recommend to make the most of the areas landscapes going the way you did. Feb 2010 i was back in Tafraoute after quite a break and met up with an old friend so Ive been back quite often and been taken around or taken myself around more of the roads that lead out from Tafraoute and the various routes to Ait Baha - what a beautiful area for sure. OUt through Ait Mansour is also wonderful and now the Anti-Atlas and up at Ait Bougoumez are my favourite areas - of course in addition to the desert and the area up through the Dades gorge and a new area ive been introduced to a gite owning family near Msemrir - hope to get back there next apple blossom season!...thousands of apple trees and stunning landscapes!
      At present Im in NZ catching up with family and friends and beautiful landscapes...after a stunning 6 weeks in Peru, Bolivia and Chile...onto Sydney to catch up on ex-home stuff and friends and then to Singapore to visit Malaysia and Borneo...then UK and Morocco!

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!

andy_johns

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.