"Leesburg" Top 5 Page for this destination Leesburg by bugalugs

Leesburg Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 66 photos

Leesburg on the border of Maryland, a lovely little place, but so quiet when we went there. Originally this town was called George Town after the then reigning monarch of England. This town was established in 1758.

The town was renamed after a resident called Ida Lee Rust. Her father was the cousin of Robert E Lee. The Rust family have donated land and money to this town and a park is named after her.

Leesburg, Virginia is in the county of Loudoun. It has also been named as one of the best preserved towns in Virginia. Lovely renovated buildings keeping the colonial charm.

Also here the Declaration of Independence and Constitution was actually kept here for safekeeping.

A place with a lot of history, in fact for a brief spell during the war in 1812 it was actually the capital of the United States.

The photograph is of me, our son and his friend. The sign over the shop my husband says best describes me. 'The resourceful woman' - Thrift Shop! :-)

• Last visit to Leesburg: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 30, 2005

• May 18, 2009 at 7:42 AM

I just discovered old town Leesburg. People who remember your face, great food and I found Vintage Gucci, Chanel, and Designer jewels in the Leesburg Antique Emporium. I discovered 50s designer furniture and you should see the avant garde mannequin.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2006 at 8:06 AM

Leesburg for me means history (we stayed in the historic Laurel Brigades Inn), an Easter egg hunt in the garden for the children - and our daughter being really ill - the hotel folk were so kind. Mixed memories! Glad to see you enjoyed it. leyle

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2005 at 7:06 AM

You always make the most of a visit! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DIANE!!

• doreenellen's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2005 at 3:03 PM

Sounds an interesting place to visit. Good page again Di. Hotel made your holiday by the sound of it too.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2005 at 6:52 AM

Wow, this was the Capital at one time? Oodles of history. I would love visiting here (without Joe:-) Great Shopping!! What a charming place.

bugalugs

“they say travel broadens the mind it said nothing about my hips!”

Badges & Stats in Leesburg

Have you been to Leesburg?

Latest Activity in Leesburg