"Viva Las Vegas" Las Vegas by bugalugs

Las Vegas Travel Guide: 8,464 reviews and 17,454 photos

Las Vegas - The Meadows

Do you want to come to Las Vegas with me, my husband asked in early December. Well what a question to ask me.......NO I said! Why he wanted to know. Well the thought of such a long flight filled me with dread, approximately 11 hours stuck in a plane was not on my agenda.

He had to go there for 3 nights leaving on his birthday and had the opportunity to take me. In the end I relented and said yes, and so it was arranged.

Thank goodness I said yes, I really enjoyed it, a very unusual kind of place, a bit like a fairground that is open 24/7 but so much to see.

Can you believe it, but this desert City called Las Vegas translates from Spanish to 'The Meadows' and apparently in the early 19th century that is just what it was, a place lush with vegetation and water.

In the late 19th century a railroad was built here and the town began.
It was'nt until 1931 that gambling was legalised here.

It is recorded that in 2003 there were over 35 million visitors to Las Vegas!!!!!!!

The Hoover Dam

We are neither of us gamblers and wanted to see something away from the neon lights, one armed bandits and roulette wheels so we visited the Hoover Dam, an amazing sight to see and not too far away either.

Red Rock Canyon

Red Rock Canyon is a short drive up in the hills which surround Las Vegas. It has such natural beautiful and is worthy of a visit. You can even see the suburbs of Las Vegas in the distance.

• Pros:A place with such contrasts on its doorstep
  • Cons:You could lose your shirt figureatively speaking!
  • In a nutshell:You may like it but your feet wont!
  • Last visit to Las Vegas: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2005

• eriksson977's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2010 at 6:10 AM

Hello Diane, Nice pages. Thank you very much and happy new year to you. Tomas Eriksson :)

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2009 at 9:02 AM

great info, thanks!

• Suzze's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2008 at 2:30 AM

I thought I would not care much for Vegas but loved it!! So true about the feet though too! Loved your quote about travelling broadens the mind but also the hips.....here here! I'm Sue, pleased to meet you :-)

• Lhenne1's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2008 at 3:01 PM

Thanks for the great Vegas tips. I'm planning a trip and you gave me some fun ideas!

• Escadora7's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Timeless Oldtown Las Vegas! Nice tips. Happy Birthday! Ash & Eve

• Apr 12, 2007 at 9:05 AM

Great tips on LV!I enjoyed the roller coaster one very much! I DO love roller coaster! Happy travelling from Italy, Francesca

• birchy99's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2006 at 4:54 PM

Well, Di, you have certainly done a bang up job on LV. Almost embarrassed to post my tips. Glad you had a great time. Mart

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2006 at 2:30 PM

we are staying at the Luxor on our last night, only 9 days till we leave ! time to start packing XX

• mazzap's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2006 at 4:10 PM

Lovely tips & pics, especially of the colourful Fremont Experience!! I am still trying to choose our hotel - think I've dithered too long though, as prices seemed to have shot up overnight! Hoping they go back down again soon - haha! Marion x.

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 3:03 PM

If you ever get to Las Vegas again, try my friends place for a nice meal..."BJ's. on East side of MGM. My friend's name is Rika and in the summer she lives next door to me in Athens;)

bugalugs

“they say travel broadens the mind it said nothing about my hips!”

Badges & Stats in Las Vegas

Have you been to Las Vegas?

Latest Activity in Las Vegas