"Homosassa Springs" Homosassa Springs by bugalugs
Homosassa Springs Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 17 photos
It is the home of the Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park, and my main reason for visiting was to see manatees.
It is contained in an area of over 170 acres, where you can see not just manatees, but also alligators, crocodiles, river otters, bob cats, birds of prey including ducks, pelicans, herons and egrets, deer and also a black bear (this bear was unfortunately on its own, but on speaking to an assistant of my concerns was told that they were in the process of trying to find it a mate - I really hope that they have).
There are education talks and demonstrations on the animals and their habitats.
Manatees are large marine mammals and adults can weigh on average between 1000-1500 pounds, with an adult measuring about 12 feet. They need fresh or low salt water to live in. They also need warm water especially in the winter months as they can catch a respiratory illness which can cause death.
On arriving at the park there is an information office/shop.
It is a very interesting place to visit and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I would advise about 4 hours for a visit.
The park is open daily from 9am -5.30pm
The price was approximately $8 for adults - $5 for children under 12 years.
No pets are allowed in the park but kennels are provided free of charge.
Facilities include a snack bar and picnic tables.
- Pros:at one with nature - so tranquil and peaceful
- In a nutshell:I wish I lived nearer!
There are lots of birds at the park including flamingos, hersons, egrets and ducks. Such a lovely peaceful setting. more travel advice
This park is made up of wetlands and a spring-run stream that bubbles up out of the 45 foot deep Homosassa Springs. The... more travel advice
bugalugs' Related Pages
Homosassa Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Homosassa Springs"
- "The big lovable Manatee"
- "homosassa springs florida"
- "Homosassa Springs"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Homosassa Springs
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Homosassa Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Homosassa Springs
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 118 reviews, 118 photos
- Prague Intro, 86 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 60 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ronda Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buxton Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 43 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos
- Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 45 photos