"Homosassa Springs" Homosassa Springs by bugalugs

Homosassa Springs Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 17 photos

Homosassa Springs is situted 75 miles north of Tampa, Florida, on highway 19.

It is the home of the Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park, and my main reason for visiting was to see manatees.

It is contained in an area of over 170 acres, where you can see not just manatees, but also alligators, crocodiles, river otters, bob cats, birds of prey including ducks, pelicans, herons and egrets, deer and also a black bear (this bear was unfortunately on its own, but on speaking to an assistant of my concerns was told that they were in the process of trying to find it a mate - I really hope that they have).

There are education talks and demonstrations on the animals and their habitats.

Manatees are large marine mammals and adults can weigh on average between 1000-1500 pounds, with an adult measuring about 12 feet. They need fresh or low salt water to live in. They also need warm water especially in the winter months as they can catch a respiratory illness which can cause death.

On arriving at the park there is an information office/shop.

It is a very interesting place to visit and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I would advise about 4 hours for a visit.

The park is open daily from 9am -5.30pm

The price was approximately $8 for adults - $5 for children under 12 years.

No pets are allowed in the park but kennels are provided free of charge.

Facilities include a snack bar and picnic tables.

• Pros:at one with nature - so tranquil and peaceful
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:I wish I lived nearer!
  • Last visit to Homosassa Springs: Aug 2000
  • Intro Updated May 11, 2003

• Donnylass's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2007 at 4:57 AM

I didnt realise you'd been here - I was supposed to go to Florida last year (only cos I want to see manatees), but it didnt happen. You lucky person - it must have been wonderful. Your photos and info are brilliant

• doreenellen's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2006 at 2:10 PM

What an interesting place and to see those manatees must have been great. Good page and lovely photos

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2005 at 6:36 PM

I was just a kid when my Dad took me to Homosassa Springs. I was fascinated then then, and would love to return.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2004 at 12:19 PM

it looks fantastic here, now tell me, how long did you have to hold your breath for while you were taking that picture LOL

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2004 at 11:18 AM

Hey, I didn't know you were such a nature lover. Looks like a great place.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2003 at 12:40 PM

Back for another visit. The Manatee is an amazing creature - would hate to feed it. What a great park, sounds very educational too.

• tessy's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2003 at 1:12 PM

Hey, great pics of the reptiles!

• bdbrewer's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2003 at 11:35 AM

These manatee's appear very lazy don't they? They are often being overran by speed boats, they are so slow. Glad you found it peaceful Dianne...

• MissyWQ's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2003 at 9:05 AM

Yes, this is a nice place. Was there in 1956.

bugalugs

“they say travel broadens the mind it said nothing about my hips!”

Badges & Stats in Homosassa Springs

Have you been to Homosassa Springs?

Latest Activity in Homosassa Springs