"Morro Bay, California" Top 5 Page for this destination Morro Bay by bugalugs
Morro Bay Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 258 photos
We found it to be a lovely place and although there were other tourists there it was not packed.
Morro Bay is situated about halfway between Los Angeles and San Francisco on the beautiful Pacific Ocean. It is a working fishing village, very quaint and in the evening small boats unload their catch of rock cod, salmon and shellfish for the locals to purchase. There is a population of about 10,000.
Its famous landmark is the Morro Rock which erupts out of the sea, and is one of a chain of nine volcanic peaks, between Morro Bay and San Luis Obispo and are supposedly about 23 million years old! Herons and peregrine falcons nest in the crevices.
It was named by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo when he first charted these waters in the 16th Century.
Besides being a fishing village it is also a holiday resort, and has mild weather all year long.
North of the rock is Morro Strand State Beach, which is wide and sandy, and has a campsite with toilets and showers.
Tel No. for reservations is 772 7434
- Pros:A sheer delight
You can walk to the end of the embarcadero in Morro Bay into Tidelands Park, which has a grassy picnic area and... more travel advice
Morro Bay State Park is a couple of miles away from Morro Bay itself. It is a well developed park and used a lot by... more travel advice
bugalugs' Related Pages
Morro Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A place to take in the sights and smells!"
- "Morro Bay, California"
- "SITTING AT THE ROCK OF THE BAY"
- "Uniquely Set Fishing Village"
- "Welcome to the Rock?"
- "The Bay, The Rock and The Power Station"
- "A Popular Central Coast Location"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Morro Bay
- Hotels in Morro Bay
- Nightlife in Morro Bay
- Restaurants in Morro Bay
- Shopping in Morro Bay
- Warnings and Dangers in Morro Bay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Morro Bay
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Morro Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Morro Bay
Photos in Morro BaySee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 118 reviews, 118 photos
- Prague Intro, 86 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 60 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ronda Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buxton Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 43 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos
- Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 45 photos