"YPRES" Ieper by bugalugs
Ieper Travel Guide: 539 reviews and 1,598 photos
We drove to the town of Ypres which stands on the banks of the River leperlee.
During the 13th century Ypres was an important town in Western Europe due to the cloth industry. The gothic cloth hall was built at the height of its power.
On arriving we visited the tourist information office which is situated in the cloth hall and where the Flanders Field Muesum is also located. There we learnt that Ypres was severely damaged during WW1. but thankfully the buildings have been restored to their original condition.
We decided to visit some of the war grave cemeteries. There are actually more than 150 war cemeteries in Ypres and the surrounding area. The Commonwealth Graves Commission are responsible for the maintenance of all these cemeteries.
The first cemetery we visited was Essex Farm, where the famous poem 'In Flanders Field' was written by Dr. John McCrae.
between the crosses, row on row,
that mark our place, and in the sky
the larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch, be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Dr. John McCrae
There is a booklet available in the Information Centre that you can follow, called 'The Flanders Field Route'. It starts on the Vandepeereboomplein in the centre of Ypres in front of the Sint-Maartenskathedral. There are signs with arrows pointing in the direction to travel. These signs are numbered 1 to 31, passing cemeteries and monuments along the way.
It is a very good booklet, containing very good information and a map, and it cost 100 BEF.
The address for the Visitors Centre in Ypres is:-
Lakenhallen, Grote Markt 34, 8900 Ypres
Telephone Number - 32 57 22 85 84 - Fax 32 57 21 85 89
E-mail address:- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not think you have to rate or comment about my page - if it makes you stop and think for a moment - or to say a prayer for peace - then it has served its purpose.
- Pros:A historical and poignant reminder
- Cons:That such actrocities happened
Brugge is a very easy and compact place to get around on foot. Although you can take a canal boat ride, which we did, or... more travel advice
This is a photo of the Cloth Hall. It is also in this building that there is a museum and also the tourist information... more travel advice
bugalugs' Related Pages
Ieper Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ieper (Ypres) touches all senses in extremes"
- "IEPER-YPRES EMOTIONS."
- "The Great War is never far away . . ."
- "A Living Memorial...and MORE!!"
- "Ieper - West of Flanders"
- "Ieper (Ypres)"
- "IEPER (YPRES)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ieper
- Hotels in Ieper
- Transportation in Ieper
- Nightlife in Ieper
- Restaurants in Ieper
- Shopping in Ieper
- Warnings and Dangers in Ieper
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ieper
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Ieper?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ieper
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 118 reviews, 118 photos
- Prague Intro, 86 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 60 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ronda Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buxton Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 43 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos
- Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 45 photos