"Clovelly" Clovelly by bugalugs

Clovelly Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 90 photos

I had'nt been down south for 17 years when we decided to have a few days visiting Devon and Cornwall. I had heard of Clovelly but didnt know the first thing about it. In my guide book it said it was a small village where cars werent allowed and it was a steep walk down to the bay.

Well they werent exaggerating! One main street which is cobbled and picturesque cottages and views.

Its the kind of village where little has probably changed for years. It is a very touristy place and it makes you wonder how the residents feel about people wondering through their little village each day and in a way depriving them of the privacy, although saying that the revenue brought in by the visitors must contribute a lot to the village I would assume.

Because of the steepness of the road cars are now allowed and for years donkeys were used for transporting goods up and down the steep street.

The donkeys dont do this anymore but they still live there. I love donkeys so I was thrilled to be able to pat this donkey although he was more interested in his hay!

• Pros:Beautiful village with breathtaking views
  • Cons:You nearly need oxygen when you get back up the hill!!!
  • Last visit to Clovelly: May 2006
  • Intro Written Jul 30, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2010 at 2:08 AM

This sounds & looks like a delightful village to visit.

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Which reminds me so much that I need to get back to Clovelly. Really good page, Cheers, John.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 7:42 AM

So this was the dreaded Ankle place.. are you sure that Red Lion didn't have a hand in things :-)..

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2007 at 1:52 PM

I want to buy a donkey too, lovely page Di will definately visit here XX

• Geoff_Wright's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2006 at 1:33 PM

I suppose after your visit to the Red Lion, you had to use the 'chair' to get back to the top, hahaha. Nice page, but it was free when I last visited! (1960's!!)

• paulapes's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2006 at 12:26 PM

A "dinky" church? Very interesting Di. Nice pages and interesting place. This looks a bit like Positano's path down to the beach, except there aren't cobblestones there.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2006 at 12:48 AM

Good page - years since I was there but I still remember the climb !

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2006 at 8:40 PM

thank god you went south Dianne, and sharing a beautiful place with us. fine page and super pix...I love the Donkey's and the georgeous Cottages..greets

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2006 at 1:39 AM

Lovely little village. It's the first village I've heard of where you pay for admission. But it looks really charming and I'd love a walk on the quay. Your page is a mine of information.

• Donnylass's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2006 at 1:13 PM

Wow as usual you've made a grand job of these pages - must add Clovelly to my places to go list! Cheers Lynda

bugalugs

“they say travel broadens the mind it said nothing about my hips!”

Badges & Stats in Clovelly

Have you been to Clovelly?

Latest Activity in Clovelly