"Clovelly" Clovelly by bugalugs
Clovelly Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 100 photos
I had'nt been down south for 17 years when we decided to have a few days visiting Devon and Cornwall. I had heard of Clovelly but didnt know the first thing about it. In my guide book it said it was a small village where cars werent allowed and it was a steep walk down to the bay.
Well they werent exaggerating! One main street which is cobbled and picturesque cottages and views.
Its the kind of village where little has probably changed for years. It is a very touristy place and it makes you wonder how the residents feel about people wondering through their little village each day and in a way depriving them of the privacy, although saying that the revenue brought in by the visitors must contribute a lot to the village I would assume.
Because of the steepness of the road cars are now allowed and for years donkeys were used for transporting goods up and down the steep street.
The donkeys dont do this anymore but they still live there. I love donkeys so I was thrilled to be able to pat this donkey although he was more interested in his hay!
- Pros:Beautiful village with breathtaking views
- Cons:You nearly need oxygen when you get back up the hill!!!
The village is actually mentioned in the Doomsday Book around 1100 AD. It was a George Carys who actually had the... more travel advice
This waterfall on the beach of clovelly apparently provides residents with water for their gardens. This waterfall is... more travel advice
bugalugs' Related Pages
Clovelly Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GEM of NORTH DEVON"
- "Clovelly - Another North Devon Time Warp"
- "What a cute village!"
- "Impossibly picturesque village of Clovelly!"
- "Quaint village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Clovelly
- Hotels in Clovelly
- Transportation in Clovelly
- Restaurants in Clovelly
- Shopping in Clovelly
- Warnings and Dangers in Clovelly
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Clovelly
- 19 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Clovelly?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clovelly
Photos in ClovellySee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 118 reviews, 118 photos
- Prague Intro, 86 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 60 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ronda Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buxton Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 43 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos
- Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 45 photos