"Eyam - Derbyshire" Top 5 Page for this destination Eyam by bugalugs
Eyam Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 99 photos
Three hundred years ago it was a very remote and isolated village and was reached by rough and narrow tracks.
A pocket full of posies
We all fall down.
This childrens rhyme refers to the signs of the plague on victims bodies. Posies were what they carried to try and ward off the disease. Sneezing was a sympton and once they fell they never got up!
Grim I know but that is what is said.
I actually did fall down whilst there. I had bought some postcards in the church and as we were about to leave the village in our car I saw the local post office, told my husband to stop, rushing to get out as I knew the closing time of the shop was imminent, jumped out of the car, got my leg stuck in the strap of my handbag and fell headlong onto the pavement in front of two extremely nice irish men on holiday who kindly helped me to my feet. Feeling somewhat a fool, I felt even worse when my husband told them I had had too much to drink!!!! :)
- Pros:A very popular tourist spot
- Cons:Parking is sometimes a problem, visitors must remember that people live here and to be considerate when parking.
Whilst visiting Eyam why not drive a little further on maybe 5 miles to see the village of Edensor and the stately home... more travel advice
The Miners Arms is the only pub in the village and it also offers accommodation. It is reputed to be one of the most... more travel advice
bugalugs' Related Pages
Eyam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Eyam - Derbyshire"
- "Eyam, plague village (1665/6)"
- "Eyam in Derbyshire"
- "Eyam - Pretty village with a grim past"
- "Incredible, moving history."
- "Atmospheric village"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eyam
- 23 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Eyam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eyam
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 118 reviews, 118 photos
- Prague Intro, 86 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 60 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ronda Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buxton Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 43 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos
- Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 45 photos