"Grassington in the Yorkshire Dales" Grassington by bugalugs

Grassington Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 50 photos

Christmas Time

Grassington is situated in the Yorkshire Dales, in an area known as Upper Wharfedale. I had always thought Grassington to be a village but apparently as it name depicts Grassing 'ton', meaning a town. Even if it is a town it is quite a small but really lovely place.

Beautiful stone cottages and cobbled squares that seem to be vanishing from our larger towns.

Grassington is about 9 miles north of Skipton on the B6265, and 55 miles north of Manchester.

An interesting fact I did find out about Grassington is that it is twinned with Dodge City, Kansas, U.S.A. I thought this was such a coincidence as the Dodge family (or some of it) actually came from the town I live in in the North West of England. There is a house here that belonged to them and a road (which is very steep) called Dodge Hill!!!

There are also lots of other beautiful places to see around this area, namely Bolton Abbey, which is a popular tourist attraction lies about 10 miles south east of Grassington on the B6160. It is a ruined abbey since the time of Henry VIII and the dissolution of the monasteries.

Haworth

A lovely place to visit whilst in this area is Haworth, home to the Brontes, famous for their writings.
(Please see my Haworth page)

On leaving Grassington we stopped at Haworth which earlier on had apparently been as busy as Grassington.

• Pros:A nice place to visit
  • Cons:Too many people
  • In a nutshell:Must try and visit in the summer!
  • Last visit to Grassington: Dec 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 5, 2003

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2012 at 4:13 AM

We had a lovely trip into Grassington during our recent Ooop North Camping trip - t'was wet so it was nice to go somewhere with proper buildings! :-) Gillybob greetings

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 12:23 AM

An interesting angle of Grassington. It's a shame how these festivals get too large. It would annoy me, being so crowded!!!! (but then I'm easily annoyed!)

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2005 at 9:15 AM

Thanks for letting me see Christmas in such a charming little English town. The only time I would have had a chance to see Christmas in England martial law was declared in Poland (in 1981) and no one could leave the country.

• birchy99's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2005 at 4:43 PM

My, such a difference. In March the town was very, very quiet, but still as charming I'm sure.

• steventilly's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2003 at 9:04 AM

Thinking of going this weekend! I'll let you know.

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2003 at 11:37 AM

A fabulous page Di on one of my favourite parts of the country. You got me thinking .. I can't actually remember the last time I saw a P&J show?

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2003 at 10:42 PM

Such wonderful little places you find Dianne! Great photos!

• crazyguitar's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2003 at 3:06 AM

Great tips!! It looks a nice place to visit during Christmas! (maybe overcrowed as you said)

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2003 at 7:31 PM

I had to see these pictures. Looks fun to visit.

• mary_birt's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2003 at 3:04 PM

Hope the mulled wine kept you warm.
    Great page, pity there are not more places like this at Christmas time

bugalugs

“they say travel broadens the mind it said nothing about my hips!”

Badges & Stats in Grassington

Have you been to Grassington?

Latest Activity in Grassington