Gibraltar Off The Beaten Path Tips by bugalugs Top 5 Page for this destination
Gibraltar Off The Beaten Path: 52 reviews and 66 photos
Africa in the distance
Morocco and its city of Tangier is only about 17 miles away from Gibraltar and on clear days you can see the Atlas Mountains from Gibraltar.
Trying to find out whether there are day trips from Gibralatar to Tangier is like trying to find gold!
Anyway as we didnt actually get to go, but one day we certainly would like to when we visit Gibraltar again. I have found that there are limited crossings at the moment to Tangier.
Leaves Friday from Tangier to Gibraltar at 11.00
Gibraltar to Tangier at 18.00However it doesnt return until Sunday at 17.00 obviously you would have then to stay in Tangier for 2 nights.
The company to contact regarding this is
Turner & Co. (Gibraltar) Ltd., (Port Office) situated at 65-67 Irish Town.
Telephone No. 350 78305
However it seems there is also a coach that will take you to Algeciras in Spain where you can catch a ferry to Tangier. I think this is a daily service operated by Blands Travel. Telephone No. 350 79068 or 350 77012
I have since found out that you can get a high speed ferry from Tarifa in Spain to Tangier, it takes 35 minutes.
If you can get to Algeciras in Spain, about 20 minutes drive from Gibraltar, there is a free shuttle bus for Tarifa for people buying a ferry ticket.
To read more please see my Tarifa ferry tip by clicking here
Ruined Moorish Castle
Lovely views from up here.
To read more, visit my Castellar de la Frontera page by clicking here
Archway entrance to ruined castle
To visit my Castellar de la Frontera page please click here
Castella de le Frontera
We visited Castellar de la Frontera probably about an hours drive from Gibraltar.
Some of this area was flooded to make a reservoir and there are two parts to this village, down below near the valley and up on the hill in what looks like an old castle is a tiny village.
To read more about Castellar de la Frontera it is on my Jimena de la Frontera page as there is no page for Castellar, please click here for Castellar de la frontera
To visit my Ronda page click here
We had a hire car and drove to Ronda which although a very touristy place is so interesting, lots to see and views that are so beautiful.
The main bridge that spans the river Guadalevin. It joins the old and new town and was finished being built in 1793 taking 42 years to build!
To see my Ronda page click here
The Beach and the Atlantic Ocean
This is a very old town, (although a new town has sprung up as well), but the old town is enclosed in the old walls. Wandering through some tiny little alleyways and explore. Enjoy sitting outside at a bar and enjoy the sunshine. Walk up to the Mirador to look out over the sea to the coast of Africa which is 11km away. It is the southern most point in Europe and therefore the nearest point to Africa. You can also take the ferry here to Tangier which takes only 35 minutes.
Here is also where the Mediterranean Sea meets the Atlantic Ocean. Walk along the Causeway that separates them both.
To see my Tarifa page click here
Plaza de Cruz Herrera Square
There is also a big shopping mall called Gran Sur which also has a cinema complex and free activities for children.
When we went into La Linea though a lot of the shops seemed to be closed, whether it was a closing day or siesta time I am not sure but it looks as if the town areas are being done up and had some nice little shops.
I think the pic I have put on here is Plaxa Cruz Herrera Square
As you go across the border into La Linea the first thing you see is a McDonalds but also there is a Tourist Information Office there.This photo of the statue of a man and a bicycle is across the border near the tourist information.
More Reviews (106)
- See All Did you know............
- See All The Brits
- See All Compare prices
- See All Dolphin Trips
- See All Jewelry
- See All Up a little lane
bugalugs' Related Pages
Gibraltar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gibraltar - The Rock"
- "A brief history..."
- "Gibraltar - A British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - Home of the Rock"
- "Gibraltar - Still a British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - not the best weather but still great!"
- "Britannia on the Iberian Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gibraltar
- Hotels in Gibraltar
- Transportation in Gibraltar
- Nightlife in Gibraltar
- Restaurants in Gibraltar
- Shopping in Gibraltar
- Warnings and Dangers in Gibraltar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gibraltar
- 118 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Gibraltar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gibraltar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 118 reviews, 118 photos
- Prague Intro, 86 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 60 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ronda Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buxton Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 43 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos
- Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 45 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (58)
- The Town / Main Street- 54 Reviews, 110 Photos
- Caves / Tunnels- 46 Reviews, 79 Photos
- Barbary Apes- 55 Reviews, 92 Photos
- The Rock- 26 Reviews, 44 Photos
- A View at the Top- 30 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Tours - Land / Sea- 39 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Cable Car- 19 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Statues / Monuments / Museums- 26 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Europa Point- 20 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Mosques / Shrines / Churches- 26 Reviews, 41 Photos
See All Gibraltar Things to Do