Gibraltar Things to Do Tips by bugalugs Top 5 Page for this destination
Gibraltar Things to Do: 491 reviews and 755 photos
It was completed in 1560 and was the Convent until the early 1800's. It then became the Chapel for the Governor of Gibraltar. Its really nice inside, quiet and peaceful. And it is open all day, every day.
There is no entrance fee, but donations can be given.
Other Contact: email email@example.com
Mary artefacts are on show including a silver chalice inscribed 1710 and has the coat of arms of Queen Anne.
The Chapel is used at the army chapel.
The original gates were built in 1551 and some in 1883 these I think are part of the newer ones.
It was around here also that a pirate called Barbarossa who attacked Gibraltar and captured many of its people to sell as slaves.
City Gates entrance
This picture is taken inside the gates on the Casemates Square side. On the entrance it reads Grand Casemate Gates.
The British have now been established on the Rock for 300 years. A ceremony is held twice a year where the Governor of Gibraltar wo dresses in his full uniform is handed the keys to Gibraltar, which is their emblem. This is done at sunset by the Port Sergeant. Lots of Gibraltarians turn out for this event. The people of Gibraltar known as Gibraltarians are happy to remain under British jurisdiction. In 1967 they actually had a vote and over 12,000 voted to stay under British rule and 44 voted to return to Spanish rule
Admiral Nelson statue
As it was 200 years since his death this statue of Nelson has been erected in Gibraltar and unveiled in Gibraltar on 28th October 2005.
I cannot remember the exact time but I think the last ride up the cable car is about 5.45pm. I remember thinking it was a bit early! So check before you go.
Prince Edward Gate Plaque
"God and the solider all men adore in time of trouble and no more, for when war is over and all things righted God is neglected and the old soldier slighted".
Prince Edward Gate
More Reviews (70)
- See All Did you know............
- See All Compare prices
- See All Tarifa
- See All Dolphin Trips
- See All Jewelry
- See All Up a little lane
bugalugs' Related Pages
Gibraltar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gibraltar - The Rock"
- "A brief history..."
- "Gibraltar - A British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - Home of the Rock"
- "Gibraltar - Still a British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - not the best weather but still great!"
- "Britannia on the Iberian Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gibraltar
- Hotels in Gibraltar
- Transportation in Gibraltar
- Nightlife in Gibraltar
- Restaurants in Gibraltar
- Shopping in Gibraltar
- Warnings and Dangers in Gibraltar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gibraltar
- 118 Reviews
- 117 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Gibraltar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gibraltar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 118 reviews, 118 photos
- Prague Intro, 86 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 60 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ronda Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buxton Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 43 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos
- Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 45 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (58)
- Caves / Tunnels- 46 Reviews, 79 Photos
- The Town / Main Street- 53 Reviews, 106 Photos
- Barbary Apes- 55 Reviews, 92 Photos
- A View at the Top- 30 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Tours - Land / Sea- 39 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Statues / Monuments / Museums- 20 Reviews, 32 Photos
- The Rock- 26 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Cable Car- 19 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Europa Point- 18 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Forts / Batteries / Castles- 30 Reviews, 40 Photos
See All Gibraltar Things to Do