"Port Sunlight" Port Sunlight by bugalugs
Port Sunlight Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 120 photos
Port Sunlight is a place I have often wanted to visit, but never seemed to get round to going there. But am I glad I did, its such a lovely place, beautiful buildings, gardens, and a nice history.
Situated in the North West of England on the Wirral, its about 20 minutes by road from Chester and Liverpool.
This village was purposely built along with the factory which manufactured soap by William H Lever.
Another place which is similar and in the North West of England, but a much smaller place is Quarry Bank Mill at Styal near Wilmslow.
He had the foresight to see that if his workers were healthy ie: good living and working conditions, then he had dependable, reliable and loyal workers. Unfortunately not all mill/factory owners were like him, some were very unscrupulous.
William Lever was born in Bolton in Lancashire on 19th September 1851. Around that time in Lancashire labour was in demand for its busy factories/mills and with the population increasing came, squalor and disease, all making an impression on Lever. He was apprenticed to his father in his grocery busy and one of his first jobs was cutting and wrapping soap.
- Pros:A place the residents can be proud of
- In a nutshell:Not merely a village but a whole lot more
Chester is only 15 miles away from Port Sunlight so a stop here is well worth it. A roman town, with lovely walls... more travel advice
I am not sure why, but in later years people were allowed to buy their homes that they once used to rent. I think now... more travel advice
bugalugs' Related Pages
Port Sunlight Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Sunlight"
- "PORT SUNLIGHT - A MODEL VILLAGE"
- "Port Sunlight - living history."
- "Port Sunlight Village"
- "Port Sunlight Lights Up The Art Scene!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Sunlight
- Hotels in Port Sunlight
- Transportation in Port Sunlight
- Restaurants in Port Sunlight
- Shopping in Port Sunlight
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Sunlight
- 30 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Port Sunlight?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Sunlight
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 118 reviews, 118 photos
- Prague Intro, 86 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 60 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ronda Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buxton Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 43 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos
- Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 45 photos