"Whitby" Whitby by bugalugs

Whitby Travel Guide: 355 reviews and 746 photos

Whitby is a lovely fishing port situated on the North East Coast of England, on the edge of the North Yorkshire Moors.

The harbour which lies at the mouth of the River Esk is a busy port for pleasure and commercial boats.

The town is very hilly, with lovely narrow cobbled streets, and when we visited it was bustling with tourists.

There is an abundance of all types of holiday accommodations, including, hotels, guest houses, Bed & Breakfasts, and camp sites.

As you wonder round you would never grow hungry, as nearly every other building is a cafe, restaurant or pub. Souvenir shops are also in abundance.

Whitby is also known for its historic ruined abbey which stands majestically on the cliff top overlooking the bay.

Captain Cook famous for his exploration on the high seas also lived in Whitby.

This beach area was very small, it is enclosed by the piers. It is called Tate Hill sands. Not to be deterred we decided we couldnt visit Whitby and not have a paddle. Our dog Ted doesnt like getting wet though much further than his ankles :-)

• Pros:A lovely place to explore
  • Cons:Very Hilly
  • Last visit to Whitby: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Feb 1, 2004

• nebulaflash's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 8:21 PM

Your photo of St. Mary's is very effective - it does look like its inhabited by restless spirits.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2005 at 12:05 PM

What a relief to hear about the road that you can drive instead of climbing all those steps! And I would have never forgiven myself for not seeing the Abbey and the graveyard. Excellent pictures of this magical place.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2005 at 6:57 PM

That Bram Stoker connection is very interesting indeed!! Very interseting about the black jet jewelry, too - I hadn't heard of it before.

• Jan 12, 2005 at 2:50 PM

Great Pictures of the Abbey... Have you ever seen Haile's Abbey? ... Elaine

• highlandlaura's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2004 at 10:23 AM

Whitby! One of my all-favorite places! I've written quite a bit in travel articles on my travels to N Yorks and James Herriot. Nice pics and comments; bringing back fond memories. That Abbey and church were featured in a Simply Red video.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2004 at 11:23 AM

I came for Ted!!

• andrewwhite's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2004 at 12:01 PM

The Abbey hasn't changed a bit since 1964 when we slept there having forgotten( by virtue of drink) the way to the campsite. Good memories, great pics, commentary and tips.

• Jehcekah's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2004 at 11:43 AM

Great tips! Funny, Scotland claims the same connection to Bram Stoker in their Slains Castle on the NE coast....(see my tip). I wonder how true either of the connections are. I love your photos! That abbey is amazing!!!!

• maggieballa's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2004 at 11:40 AM

I have never visited Whitby, but it seems like a very good place to spend a short break. Thank you for the information!

• Donnylass's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2004 at 2:14 AM

Hi Di - you'll be glad you didnt wait for the Magpie - it's the most expensive and overrated fish and chip restaurant in Whitby! We tried it once and wouldnt go back. The Endeavour next door is cheap and cheerful and has THE best fish and chips in Whitby!

bugalugs

“they say travel broadens the mind it said nothing about my hips!”

Badges & Stats in Whitby