"Styal (Near Wilmslow)" Wilmslow by bugalugs
Wilmslow Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 80 photos
Samuel Greg came from a merchant family in Belfast. He came over to Manchester in England and was adopted by his uncle.
The Greg family, including five generations stayed in the textile industry for almost 200 years.
Quarry Bank Mill was given by the family to the National Trust in 1939 and in 1959 production finished.
However today this mill is a wonderful place to visit, with many hands on experiences that children will love.
It also gives a great insight into our industrial heritage.
Many parties of school children visit here during the week. My son did when he was learning about this in his junior school. His music teacher then wrote a play/musical based on the apprentice children who worked in the mill which was a great success.
The North West of England has at one time a huge textile industry sadly, those times have more or less now gone.
However, this mill does produce 'Styal Calico' and you can buy various things in the gift shop.
- Pros:A wonderful place to visit
- Cons:£2.50 to park your car!!!!!!
I love this thatched cottage. Its called Cruck Cottage. I dont suppose ordinary workers lived here, maybe it was one of... more travel advice
There is also quite a big woods adjacent to the mill park area. One of the paths to reach the woods is alongside... more travel advice
bugalugs' Related Pages
Wilmslow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Styal (Near Wilmslow)"
- "Leafy Wilmslow"
- "Wilmslow home of footballers"
- "Posh very posh"
- "Wilmslow, Cheshire, England"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wilmslow
- Transportation in Wilmslow
- Nightlife in Wilmslow
- Restaurants in Wilmslow
- Shopping in Wilmslow
- Warnings and Dangers in Wilmslow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wilmslow
- 18 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Wilmslow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wilmslow
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gibraltar Intro, 118 reviews, 118 photos
- Prague Intro, 86 reviews, 86 photos
- New York City Intro, 83 reviews, 82 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 60 reviews, 59 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ronda Intro, 50 reviews, 52 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 50 reviews, 50 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Buxton Intro, 38 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 43 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cadiz Intro, 34 reviews, 45 photos
- Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 45 photos