"Arcos De La Frontera" Top 5 Page for this destination Arcos de la Frontera by bugalugs

Arcos de la Frontera Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 166 photos

A little white village

Arcos de la Frontera is known as one of the White Villages or Pueblos Blancos of which there are a few in this area of Andalucia.
We had been staying in Gibraltar for a few days, hired a car and decided to visit a few places in the area.

_________________________________________________

As you approach you can see the village high up on top of a rock which is made of limestone. Perched on the edge is the Castillo de los Arcos which overlooks the Guadelete River below. Here at the Castle is where the Dukes of Arcos lived. In 1472 is was bestowed with the name of 'City' by Henry IV of Castile.

_________________________________________________

On the hill of Acros is the old town, narrow little alleyways waiting to be explored, old churches to visit, wine bars to drink in - lol and breathtaking views. Lower down the hill is the newer part of town.

• Last visit to Arcos de la Frontera: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 15, 2006

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2011 at 6:38 AM

Lovely pictures of Arcos. I stayed there 3 days and loved the incredible view, the hospitality of the locals and the laid back vibe of the town. You did a nice job describing it

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 4:59 PM

What a charming city! Your photos are very good and capture its charm. I'll have to make a side trip this summer to Arcos now.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2006 at 6:05 AM

Nice photos and tip on Arcos! You put me to shame as I still need to get my Arcos page up! ~ Andy

• L._A.'s Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2006 at 6:57 PM

Great pix and info on your Arcos de la Frontera page! It was the next best thing to being there myself!

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2006 at 11:22 AM

Very interesting page, Dianne - I'm surprised that you haven't been getting ratings for it. We will be visiting Arcos in early May and your tips will be a great help.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2006 at 5:58 AM

You know I am going to take a sneak preview.. what's with that 'stance' at Plaza del Cabildo..LOL How many wine bars did you visit?.. I'll be baaaak!

bugalugs

“they say travel broadens the mind it said nothing about my hips!”

Badges & Stats in Arcos de la Frontera

Have you been to Arcos de la Frontera?

Latest Activity in Arcos de la Frontera