"Tarifa - Costa de la Luz" Top 5 Page for this destination Tarifa (Cadiz) by bugalugs

Tarifa (Cadiz) Travel Guide: 202 reviews and 413 photos

The Windy City or so they say'

We were staying in Gibraltar and decided upon a trip to Cadiz, however on the way I wanted to stop in Tarifa and I am so glad we did. Its a lovely place, very old in parts, old town walls surrounding it, a Castle and a wonderful beach.

There has been many influences in this little town from the Romans, Muslims, Spanish and even the British. When we visited it was quiet but then it was November, but the sun was shining and it was a lovely day, and even though its renowned for its winds there was hardly a breeze fluttering at all.

Tarifa is the southern most point in Europe and only a few miles from North Africa. In fact it is here that you can get a ferry that only takes 35 minutes to get to Tangier.

• Cons:Apparently the winds, although wonderful and still when we visited
  • In a nutshell:Not your typical Costa del Sol resort, a mixture of old and new with a lot of history
  • Last visit to Tarifa (Cadiz): Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2005

• Homer_Simpson32's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 6:48 AM

Hello ! Surprised to see you in the top 5 in Tarifa! I just built my pages on Tarifa and was having a look at the top five. The lookout tower you mention was actually a small castle. I enjoyed your pages about Tarifa!

• sugarpuff's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2006 at 10:22 AM

Top 5 for Tarifa as well..well im off toTarifa in June when I get back home for a quick holiday. Will only be there two days but am planning on having a great time!Taking my camera this time!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 4:57 AM

Lovely place to get married. Wish I had known sooner. Excellent photos and interesting tips. So I am not the only one who detests shopping!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2006 at 9:44 AM

Lovely page on Tarifa. I was here for a short visit this time last year on my way to Morocco. It's a really great place, would love to return.

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2006 at 10:27 AM

Oh Di,i can't believe i missed this place it looks gorgeous.Maybe next time.

• doreenellen's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2006 at 1:12 AM

Lovely photos and lots of information as usuall from you. Looks very old and spanish with lots of history.

• birchy99's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2006 at 8:52 PM

I'm so jealous, jealous, jealous. It's not fair that you live so close to these great destinations. Nice job, kiddo. Mart

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 8:08 PM

What a great decision. Thats some great history, well done.. you had me puffing on thoses steps tho'.. what well worth it. Great photos. Glad you had time for a vino:-)

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2006 at 1:31 PM

It is amazing how much old history exists in the world. We were in Spain several years ago but looks like we missed a good place to visit and brush up on this historical location. Happy New Year, Di!!!

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2005 at 4:30 AM

Great pictures, Dianne. I love that pirate history of how it got its name.

bugalugs

“they say travel broadens the mind it said nothing about my hips!”

Badges & Stats in Tarifa (Cadiz)

Have you been to Tarifa (Cadiz)?

Latest Activity in Tarifa (Cadiz)

Photos in Tarifa (Cadiz)