"Rome - The Eternal City" Rome by bugalugs

Rome Travel Guide: 11,966 reviews and 26,452 photos

St. Peters Square

I had visited Rome on a couple of occasions, but nothing could have prepared me for the surprise birthday present I received from my husband and son on my ??th birthday.

Not an inkling to where I was going, except that I was in a plane heading for Frankfurt!! Is this where we are going I kept asking? Wait and see was their reply!

In Frankfurst airport I was given two presents to unwrap. First opened was a guide book on Rome and the other a map. What a wonderful surprise. I was so thrilled I burst into tears :-)

Apparently my husband couldnt get a direct flight and so we flew via Frankfurt

_________

So much to see and not really enough time in a long weekend.

St. Peters Basilica, The Sistine Chapel, The Trevi Fountain (throw your coins in), The Spanish Steps, The Via Condotti (where all the expensive shops are - much too expensive for me!!!!) The Coloseum, St. John Laterun. The list is endless.

St.Peters

We were wondering up the road on the Sunday morning to go in St. Peters Basilica, only to find the Pope saying mass in the square. We were so pleased.

Erected in the piazza are also large screens to enable everyone to be able to see better. He looked so frail though. Since I wrote this Pope John Paul has died, so I am pleased that I did see him on our visit.

• Pros:A good metro/bus system
  • Cons:Sore feet!!!!!
  • In a nutshell:Not just old relics!!
  • Last visit to Rome: Nov 2000
  • Intro Updated Feb 26, 2006

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 5:13 AM

Of to Rome next year for the first time in donkey's years so lots to catch up on. Good overview esp of St Peters ad the Vatican here. Thanks - leyle

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2006 at 7:25 AM

Great updates Di ;-).. you did well on those stairs... hey I try Mack'ers in all parts of the world but funnily never at home ..I'm sure Joe enjoyed his big mac.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 2:52 PM

we`ll be here in 2 weeks, have got my coins ready to throw in but my aim is lousy

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2005 at 1:03 PM

Great page. If I'd seen it before I went to Rome I could have saved a lot of time- but missed a lot too.

• buzzz's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2005 at 12:55 PM

Enjoyed getting clued up on your Rome pages Di. We will be there in a couple of weeks.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2005 at 9:48 PM

What a great birthday gift! It's so special when someone is as creative as your husband and son!

• babar_1's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2004 at 3:50 AM

Nice informative page

• Sandi-2004's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2004 at 1:56 PM

You may enjoy my nighttime Vatican photo from the same spot as the day shot on your Intro page. Very thorough info for everyone. What a wonderful hubby you have. Great B'day gift!!!

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2004 at 1:26 PM

Tell me your son had a great time as we are taking our 16 year old son in nov. Nice Rome pages, I had never heard of the marble steps covered with wood before.

• mickeyjane1's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2004 at 12:33 AM

i wish i could have a birthday surprise like that.

bugalugs

“they say travel broadens the mind it said nothing about my hips!”

Badges & Stats in Rome