"How I got here" Ascension Island by islandgirl912
Ascension Island Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 192 photos
Hi, well it all started when I had finished school and I needed a job. I asked some family members about any jobs going down there ( I was up in France at the time).
So i got an interview. I found out I got the job and I went from France to England, to Ascenion in 2 weeks, this would be the longest distance I have ever travelled. However this would mean that I would be amongst people of the same nationality as me, for the first time.
One of the hard things to get used to was being around people that were the same nationality as me and talking like them. I had spent my life around English and French people and i had got used to their cultures.
The people I am talking about are Saints, the people who come from St.Helena Island. I also had to be around Americans for the first time too, and getting used to their way of talking. The other biggest thing is adapting to small island life, it is so different.
...A year Later....and here I am, totally adapted to Island life, enjoying the days that come. I find I have got used to this life, but have not forgotten my "survival skills" for living in the big world.
Being on such a small Island, I can say that I have been practically everywhere. The beaches, the clubs, the town, the villages, the mountain. However I know that there are still loads of little island gems still to dicover...
- Pros:good weather, party life, sports and activities, scenery
- Cons:not much change, mosquitos, heat, isolated
- In a nutshell:looks like the moon on the outside, but there is life inside
When driving along the Ascension roads there will be some things that you will come across, more than 99% likely you'll... more travel advice
Be very careful where you go swimming in the sea on Ascension, one of the main places to avoid is Long Beach, people do... more travel advice
islandgirl912's Related Pages
Ascension Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ascension - mysterious, secretive and curious"
- "How I got here"
- "Ascension Island"
- "the call of mail boat ST HELENA"
- "Ascension Island = Ascension please"
- "Ascension Island Diary"
- "Ascension Island - err, where IS that?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ascension Island
- Hotels in Ascension Island
- Transportation in Ascension Island
- Nightlife in Ascension Island
- Restaurants in Ascension Island
- Shopping in Ascension Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Ascension Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ascension Island
- 9 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1)
Have you been to Ascension Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ascension Island
- Wrote a Review Donkeys, Land Crabs, Sheep and Rabbits! in Ascension Island Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Donkeys, Land Crabs, Sheep and Rabbits!"
- Commented on one of islandgirl912's Ascension Island travel pages
- Posted in Travel Kota Kinabalu Forum "Re: changing my currency"
- created a Ascension Island Travel Page "How I got here"
- Ascension Island Intro, 9 reviews, 16 photos
- Kuala Lumpur 2 reviews, 4 photos
- Kota Kinabalu 1 review, 3 photos
- Buckingham Intro, 1 review
No friends yet.