"How I got here" Top 5 Page for this destination Ascension Island by islandgirl912

Ascension Island Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 226 photos

Going to ASI

Hi, well it all started when I had finished school and I needed a job. I asked some family members about any jobs going down there ( I was up in France at the time).
So i got an interview. I found out I got the job and I went from France to England, to Ascenion in 2 weeks, this would be the longest distance I have ever travelled. However this would mean that I would be amongst people of the same nationality as me, for the first time.

Getting used to things

One of the hard things to get used to was being around people that were the same nationality as me and talking like them. I had spent my life around English and French people and i had got used to their cultures.
The people I am talking about are Saints, the people who come from St.Helena Island. I also had to be around Americans for the first time too, and getting used to their way of talking. The other biggest thing is adapting to small island life, it is so different.

A Year later

...A year Later....and here I am, totally adapted to Island life, enjoying the days that come. I find I have got used to this life, but have not forgotten my "survival skills" for living in the big world.
Being on such a small Island, I can say that I have been practically everywhere. The beaches, the clubs, the town, the villages, the mountain. However I know that there are still loads of little island gems still to dicover...

• Pros:good weather, party life, sports and activities, scenery
  • Cons:not much change, mosquitos, heat, isolated
  • In a nutshell:looks like the moon on the outside, but there is life inside
  • Last visit to Ascension Island: Aug 2009
  • Intro Written Sep 9, 2010

• islandgirl912's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Thank you for your comments, sorry it took so long to reply, I didn't realize I had comments on here lol. Yes you can have some great opportunities to see beautiful sunsets. It is not easy and not cheap either, RAF personnel get priority on the plane. But don't let that bother you, you can still get down here and enjoy :-)

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2012 at 6:40 AM

loved your profile picture. WOW!

• Hildeal's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Great Page, really hope to see som more pictures and tips. I really want to go there my self, but I guess it's not easy and not cheap

islandgirl912 Lives Here!

islandgirl912

“be curious”

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Ascension Island

Have you been to Ascension Island?

Friends