"Ketambe: The place to relax and see wildlife" Ketambe by Daihappydai

Ketambe Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 108 photos

Trekking

My main aim in getting to Ketambe was to see 'wild' orangutans. Some years ago I had been in Bukit Lawang and while I had a great experience treking there, it seemed that the guides knew all the orangutan by name. This was of course due to many of the orangutans visiting the rehabilitation centre for a feed. So my hope in Ketambe was to see wild orangutans.
I was not disappointed, being lucky enough to have a guide who first heard and then spotted a huge male orangutan - the guide called him a 'king'. At first this male did not seem at all interested in us - a group of three - but then he obviously felt we were invading his territory. He moved with great agility through the treetops, stopped in a tree almost directly above us, and proceeded to throw the discards of the fruit he was eating at us.
What an amazing experience!
Along with orangutans, there were plenty of Thomas-leaf monkeys to see, an incredible array of butterflies, and a huge variety of fungi on or near the jungle floor.
It was certainly well worth the effort of travelling to Ketambe to have this time in a rugged, natural environment.

Along the river

Ketambe isn't just a place for trekking, it is also a place for relaxing. Sitting on the banks of the fast flowing Sungai Alas reading a book or just watching insects and birds going about their business was another highlight of my time in Ketambe.

The people

The people of Ketambe are used to having a few tourists in their village. They are very relaxed about it and very friendly - asking where you are from and about your life. One afternoon I was taking a walk down the main street when a group of girls called me over. We managed to have a conversation partly in Indonesian and partly in English. They were enjoying fruit they were picking fresh from a jambu tree. I had never tried jambu before and they were more than happy to shares some with me.

• Pros:Fantastic opportunity to experience the jungle
  • Cons:None, but negotiate before choosing a guide
  • In a nutshell:A beautiful, quiet village to relax and experience nature
  • Last visit to Ketambe: Jan 2012
  • Intro Updated Dec 10, 2012

Comments

Badges & Stats in Ketambe

Have you been to Ketambe?

Latest Activity in Ketambe