"Ketambe: The place to relax and see wildlife" Ketambe by Daihappydai
Ketambe Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 108 photos
My main aim in getting to Ketambe was to see 'wild' orangutans. Some years ago I had been in Bukit Lawang and while I had a great experience treking there, it seemed that the guides knew all the orangutan by name. This was of course due to many of the orangutans visiting the rehabilitation centre for a feed. So my hope in Ketambe was to see wild orangutans.
I was not disappointed, being lucky enough to have a guide who first heard and then spotted a huge male orangutan - the guide called him a 'king'. At first this male did not seem at all interested in us - a group of three - but then he obviously felt we were invading his territory. He moved with great agility through the treetops, stopped in a tree almost directly above us, and proceeded to throw the discards of the fruit he was eating at us.
What an amazing experience!
Along with orangutans, there were plenty of Thomas-leaf monkeys to see, an incredible array of butterflies, and a huge variety of fungi on or near the jungle floor.
It was certainly well worth the effort of travelling to Ketambe to have this time in a rugged, natural environment.
Ketambe isn't just a place for trekking, it is also a place for relaxing. Sitting on the banks of the fast flowing Sungai Alas reading a book or just watching insects and birds going about their business was another highlight of my time in Ketambe.
The people of Ketambe are used to having a few tourists in their village. They are very relaxed about it and very friendly - asking where you are from and about your life. One afternoon I was taking a walk down the main street when a group of girls called me over. We managed to have a conversation partly in Indonesian and partly in English. They were enjoying fruit they were picking fresh from a jambu tree. I had never tried jambu before and they were more than happy to shares some with me.
- Pros:Fantastic opportunity to experience the jungle
- Cons:None, but negotiate before choosing a guide
- In a nutshell:A beautiful, quiet village to relax and experience nature
Apart from trekking in the jungle and relaxing by he river, just taking an afternoon walk was a highlight of my time... more travel advice
The quiet village of Ketambe is used to having tourists and the people are very friendly, extraordinarily helpful and... more travel advice
Daihappydai's Related Pages
Ketambe Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Ketambe
- Hotels in Ketambe
- Transportation in Ketambe
- Shopping in Ketambe
- Warnings and Dangers in Ketambe
- See All...
Explore the World
- Port Dalhousie Hotels
- United States of America
- Anaheim Hotels
- Male Island
- Kuala Lumpur
- Western Province Hotels
- Wildwood Crest Hotels
- Soo Junction Hotels
- Riva del Garda
- Playa de Ponce Hotels
- Montecatini Terme
- Lloret de Mar
- State of Jammu and Kashmir
Badges & Stats in Ketambe
- 22 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Ketambe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ketambe
Photos in KetambeSee All Photos (108)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 41 reviews, 190 photos
- Sumbawa Besar Intro, 30 reviews, 125 photos
- Berastagi Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos
- Ketambe Intro, 22 reviews, 108 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rantepao Intro, 20 reviews, 93 photos
- Rumah Mulu Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos
- Pulau Pangkor Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 24 reviews, 81 photos
- Banda Aceh Intro, 21 reviews, 83 photos
- Miri Intro, 23 reviews, 76 photos