"An incredible wildlife experience" Sukau by Daihappydai
Sukau Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 210 photos
My first hope when booking a trip to the Kinabatangan River was to see probiscus monkeys. Over three cruises on the river, we saw many groups. Some were bachelor groups, some were a dominant male with his harem and children. It was an amazing experience watching them jump from tree to tree, or just sitting high in the branches enjoying the late afternoon light. Not only were the noses something to gape at in awe, but also the length of the tails.
It made the whole trip worth the effort
Crusing down the river really is an incredible experience. When I saw a sign that warned against swiming as there were crocodiles present, I thought 'wouldn't it be great to see a big croc up close'. Sure enough, our guide spotted a semi-submerged croc just meters from our boat, and then two more large crocs warming up in the filtered sunlight. Wow!
One croc tired of our gaping, smoothly glided into the water and headed for our boat....
Another great experience was seeing orangutans in the wild, along with many macaques, huge monitor lizards and an amazing variety of birds.
Hard to pick what was better, the late afternoon sun and seeing the troops of monkeys taking up their resting places for the night, or the beauty and serenity of an early morning cruise down the river.
You need to do both!
- Pros:Simply awesome seeing so much wildlife
- In a nutshell:If you are into animals in the wild, this is a must see place
After a relaxing afternoon at the lodge, our first cruise down river was in the late afternoon. The water was calm, the... more travel advice
We had been for a short jungle walk in the morning and the tell-tale signs of recent elephant activity - elephant... more travel advice
Daihappydai's Related Pages
Sukau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Two fantastic days on the river"
- "Where the animals used to rule"
- "Kinabatangan River"
- "An incredible wildlife experience"
- "Sukau Rainforest Lodge"
- "exploring the kinibatangan river"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sukau
- Hotels in Sukau
- Transportation in Sukau
- Restaurants in Sukau
- Warnings and Dangers in Sukau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sukau
- 10 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Sukau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sukau
Photos in SukauSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 41 reviews, 190 photos
- Sumbawa Besar Intro, 30 reviews, 125 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Berastagi Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos
- Ketambe Intro, 22 reviews, 108 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rantepao Intro, 20 reviews, 93 photos
- Rumah Mulu Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos
- Pulau Pangkor Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 24 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banda Aceh Intro, 21 reviews, 83 photos
- Miri Intro, 23 reviews, 76 photos