"Stop overs in Ambon" Top 5 Page for this destination Ambon by Daihappydai
Ambon Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 49 photos
The island of Ambon is the main transportation hub of south-central Maluku. From Ambon you can travel to north Maluku, to Makassar in Sulawesi, back west to Java and Bali, or travel further south and east to the Banda Islands, the Kei Islands and Irian Jaya. Note that the airport is 45 minutes drive from the city of Ambon. Besides flights, a number of Pelni ferries pass through Ambon - the Pelni terminal is on the city's edge, and there are daily ferries to Seram and Saparua - these leaving from ports some distance from Kota Ambon.
In the late 1990's and early 2000's there were major conflicts between Christians and Muslims on Pulau Ambon. Now all is calm. At Christmas time the roads of many villages are lined with home-made Christmas trees lit with bright, colorful lights. Even in the centre of town, you will find Christmas trees on the side of the road.
As Christmas approaches, road side stalls are set up in the city selling a wide range of fireworks. On Christmas Eve, the streets of Kota Ambon are almost deserted for a few hours as Christians go to church - then the fireworks start up again.
- Pros:Take the time to visit and stay in some of the villages on the island.
- In a nutshell:The city is busy! The villages far more relaxed and friendly
Baguala Bay Resort is on the Leihitu side of Pulau Ambon, and a good place to stay if you are going to the Tulehu ports... more travel advice
When in Ambon, take the time to go for a walk (or cacth a bemo up the hill and walk back) to the Martha Christina... more travel advice
Daihappydai's Related Pages
Ambon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stop overs in Ambon"
- "Nice Kota Ambon -the capital of Maluku"
- "Ambon Manise- Sweet Ambon"
- "Visit Maluku 2012"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ambon
- Hotels in Ambon
- Transportation in Ambon
- Restaurants in Ambon
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ambon
- 6 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Ambon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ambon
Photos in AmbonSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Bali Intro, 41 reviews, 190 photos
- Sumbawa Besar Intro, 30 reviews, 125 photos
- Berastagi Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos
- Ketambe Intro, 22 reviews, 108 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rantepao Intro, 20 reviews, 93 photos
- Pulau Pangkor Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 24 reviews, 81 photos
- Banda Aceh Intro, 21 reviews, 83 photos
- Bima Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Bandanaira Intro, 16 reviews, 71 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (4)
Latest Ambon hotel reviews
- 2 Reviews & Opinions