"Sights, sounds and smells on sensuous Bali" Top 5 Page for this destination Bali by Daihappydai
Bali Travel Guide: 690 reviews and 1,683 photos
There is so much to see on Bali - it seems like a fairly superficial statement, something from a tourist magazine or guide book, but it is true. Bali is my port of entry into Indonesia, coming from Australia, and I've been to Bali 8 times on route to visiting many other Indonesia islands. I always spend a few days at the start and end of any adventure to outer islands exploring a little more of Bali. There are beautiful rice fields to wander through, mountains to climb, temples to visit, beaches to swim in, forest walks, markets to explore, an amazing underwater world, performances to watch.... The list goes on. I've been lucky enough to see a lot of south, east and central Bali and a little of the north, but not much of the west. Sights yet to be seen! I look forward to my next trip.
Out and about in Bali, rarely does a day go by where you won't hear the beautiful sounds of a procession or a ceremony in progress. The tings of the cymbols and beating of the drums as processions pass down the street, the incredible sounds of a gamelan performance, the cacaphony of noises as birds and animals wake in the morning and frogs call to each other at night...
Bali is music to the ears.
Each time I enter the carpark after stepping off the plane at Denpasar airport two things remind me that I am back in Bali - I feel the humidity and I am immediately immersed in the smells of Bali.
Bali is all about burning coconut shells to cook over an open fire, incense in the streets and at altars, 'kretek' cigarettes, the incredible smells of fresh, and rotting, fruit, the pervasive smell of fish on open display at the markets, spices galour....
It feels good to be back.
- Pros:Spending time in villages with local people is a truly uplifting experience
- Cons:Away from the made-for-tourist areas, there are none
- In a nutshell:Bali is truly a majestic island, a place to really immerse yourself
Visitors to Bali who have not been to India or other countries where Hinduism and Buddhism are practiced are sometimes... more travel advice
Masks are a very important element of Balinese performance. There are many places where you can observe and participant... more travel advice
Daihappydai's Related Pages
Bali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Making the Choice"
- "BALI an EXCITING TOUR PLACES in INDONESIA"
- "Paradise Island with so much to see and do."
- "Sights, sounds and smells on sensuous Bali"
- "Arts, Nature, Harmony"
- "Bali - Paradise on earth and underwater"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bali
- Hotels in Bali
- Transportation in Bali
- Nightlife in Bali
- Restaurants in Bali
- Shopping in Bali
- Warnings and Dangers in Bali
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bali
- 41 Reviews
- 190 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Bali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bali
Photos in BaliSee All Photos (190)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bali Intro, 41 reviews, 190 photos
- Sumbawa Besar Intro, 30 reviews, 125 photos
- Berastagi Intro, 26 reviews, 111 photos
- Ketambe Intro, 22 reviews, 108 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rantepao Intro, 20 reviews, 93 photos
- Rumah Mulu Intro, 21 reviews, 92 photos
- Pulau Pangkor Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 24 reviews, 81 photos
- Banda Aceh Intro, 21 reviews, 83 photos
- Miri Intro, 23 reviews, 76 photos