"Sights, sounds and smells on sensuous Bali" Top 5 Page for this destination Bali by Daihappydai

Bali Travel Guide: 701 reviews and 1,733 photos

Sights of Bali

There is so much to see on Bali - it seems like a fairly superficial statement, something from a tourist magazine or guide book, but it is true. Bali is my port of entry into Indonesia, coming from Australia, and I've been to Bali 8 times on route to visiting many other Indonesia islands. I always spend a few days at the start and end of any adventure to outer islands exploring a little more of Bali. There are beautiful rice fields to wander through, mountains to climb, temples to visit, beaches to swim in, forest walks, markets to explore, an amazing underwater world, performances to watch.... The list goes on. I've been lucky enough to see a lot of south, east and central Bali and a little of the north, but not much of the west. Sights yet to be seen! I look forward to my next trip.

Sounds of Bali

Out and about in Bali, rarely does a day go by where you won't hear the beautiful sounds of a procession or a ceremony in progress. The tings of the cymbols and beating of the drums as processions pass down the street, the incredible sounds of a gamelan performance, the cacaphony of noises as birds and animals wake in the morning and frogs call to each other at night...
Bali is music to the ears.

Smells of Bali

Each time I enter the carpark after stepping off the plane at Denpasar airport two things remind me that I am back in Bali - I feel the humidity and I am immediately immersed in the smells of Bali.
Bali is all about burning coconut shells to cook over an open fire, incense in the streets and at altars, 'kretek' cigarettes, the incredible smells of fresh, and rotting, fruit, the pervasive smell of fish on open display at the markets, spices galour....
It feels good to be back.

• Pros:Spending time in villages with local people is a truly uplifting experience
  • Cons:Away from the made-for-tourist areas, there are none
  • In a nutshell:Bali is truly a majestic island, a place to really immerse yourself
  • Last visit to Bali: Jan 2011
  • Intro Written Apr 25, 2011

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2014 at 6:27 AM

Good photos and interesting tips that are helping us to prepare our next travel to Indonesia
    Gracias !!!

• elpariente's Profile Photo
      Jan 17, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Thank you for the information!
      I saw Sawah Indah in internet and looks great
      Gracias !!

• Daihappydai's Profile Photo
      Jan 17, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Hi,
      One other thing I was going to mention, have a look at a couple of nights in Munduk, a beautiful quiet area with some lovely walks. I put together a short Munduk page on the travel guides last year if you want to take a look.
      Have fun.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Beautiful & very informative Bali page. I shall come back for more!

Daihappydai Visits Here Frequently!

Badges & Stats in Bali